Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 nova, and it is missing the springs out of the lower drivers side door hinge. this is causing the door not to shut properly, how do i fix this? do i need to replace the whole hinge or is there a way to just put a new spring in it? it also doesnt look to be bolted in, it looks welded in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
nova door hinge spring

yes you can replace the springs.. pretty common part. most auto parts should have them . you can probably buy the tool to compress them at the auto parts too... and yes most of the hinges are welden on but you dont have to remove the hinge to install the spring.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The spring only holds the door in the open position. New hinge pins & bushings should make it shut properly, unless a hinge has been tweaked from an accident. You can pop a spring out of a parts car real easy with a screw driver, but you'll need a small spring compressor from the paint & body supply store (for about $15) to install it on your car without scratching the jamb or getting hit with the spring.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've heard of a trick you might try for installing the spring:

Take a couple pieces of steel bailing ( tie ) wire. string them through the spring center, and loop them around to the outside.

Take a pair of linesman pliers, and twist the ends together. Put the twist in the spring center, opposite sides.

Alternate side-to-side twisting up the wire. As you twist, it will compress the spring.

Install the spring, and cut the wires. Pull the wires, out, and done.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
I've heard of a trick you might try for installing the spring:

Take a couple pieces of steel bailing ( tie ) wire. string them through the spring center, and loop them around to the outside.

Take a pair of linesman pliers, and twist the ends together. Put the twist in the spring center, opposite sides.

Alternate side-to-side twisting up the wire. As you twist, it will compress the spring.

Install the spring, and cut the wires. Pull the wires, out, and done.

I used a coat hanger :D

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Or try a local body shop, they'll have a spring compressor tool for this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts