Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having issues with leaks. At first I thought it was the weatherstripping so I replaced it with Soffseal weatherstrip. It didn't leak for a few days then I go out and my floor is soaked. I can see one spot that is leaking. When you directly spray water at the top of the door it comes in.

Now, I'm thinking that the door may be sagging. There's obviously a gap between the door and the frame at the top. My question is would a door hinge repair kit work with this or not. I'm not sure if it needs new hinges or just the bushings, pins and springs. Any suggestions or advice?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Post a pic of the suspected leak... pins and bushings are needed if the door has up/down play at the hinges(springs usually are reused). Other times the window frame can be worked over if its not lining up correctly (with good pins and bushings). If it leaks with the door closed, the hinges are a moot point and the window frame needs tweeked...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll get a picture this evening. I have noticed that sometimes you need to lift up on the door to get it to shut all the way. Even with the door meeting flush with the body it still leaks around the top of the door.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll get a picture this evening. I have noticed that sometimes you need to lift up on the door to get it to shut all the way. Even with the door meeting flush with the body it still leaks around the top of the door.
Sounds like the door is sagging.. pins and bushings, would be my 1st step. Window frame may need tweeked thou....

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
As another member suggested , check for play in the door. Do this by opening the door and lifting up on the end of the door. If the door moves up and down the hinges could be the problem. You could get a rebuild kit for the hing or just replace the hing. The upper hing is usually the first to go because it carries most of the load. If the door does not move or have "play" then look at the window and see if it is sitting to far the the rear. If it is take the door panel off and adjust the window tracks for a better fit. The other problem could be that the vehicle could have been in an accident at some point or the door was hyper extended and bent the "a" post/hing post and the door may have been adjusted at the hinges out to align with the fender causing a water leak at the glass. In other words the door may have been adjusted away from the seal to get a good fit at the fender. To correct this you would have to pull the "a" piller out at the hing mounting area to correct your problem. This problem could only be handled at a bodyshop with a floor or frame pull. good luck!:)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'll bet money that everyone on the site has a leaky nova. Some just more than others. If they say there car never leaks its because it doesnt leave the garage, or has never seen a healthy shot of rain. :D

They leaked when new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts