Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car painted. When we hung the doors we made sure the door gaps were good and the center body line (I think it's called the belt line) was straight from the back to the front. I reinstalled the door glass and all the hardware, now the belt line does not match from the quarter to the door. The door belt line is sitting lower than the quarter. Is this a sign of bad hinge bushing? What are the signs of bad hinge bushings? Or is the sag just a sign of the added weight in the door and I need to readjust the door? This is the passenger door, the driver side door did not move. Any ideas? When it was painted, the painter did not remove the hinges from the door, only from the cowl area if that makes any difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If he removed the door from the car , you will have to readjust the door. He didnt get it quite back in the correct position it was before . If you have bad bushings you can lift up and down on the car to see how much play is in the hinges ,or by watching the door when closing.Look see if the door goes up some when it latches , Good luck and keep us POSTed

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Hinges

After checking bushings, adjust the door hinge where it bolts through the cowel, thats the up and down and back and forward adjustment, where the hinge bolts to the door is the in and out adjustment. If hinges are good this should be no problem to get it lined up again, Good luck

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have bad bushings you can lift up and down on the car to see how much play is in the hinges ,or by watching the door when closing.Look see if the door goes up some when it latches ,
Should there be ANY play up and down on the door? Right now when I close it I have to lift the door slightly to get it to latch. I didn't have to do that before I put the glass and all the hardware back in the door, so I figured that was just due to the added weight.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Needs bushings, should have no up and down.
Thanks. I guess I know what I am doing Sunday morning! :( I read some posts here that the door needs to come off and the hinge needs to come off the door. What's the best way to remove a door with one person? Floor jack under the door? If I leave the latch and the strike on while I pull the hinge bolts will the door stay put? I wish I had done this before it was painted. :mad:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
With our opulent American life style there is typically one person for each car. Since the passenger door is operated much less than the driver door over the years it is not uncommon for the right side hinges to be in perfect shape after all these years.

Remove the door striker from the B-Pillar jamb area. Adjust the door so it lines up with the body. Re-install the striker so it matches the door latch. Don’t adjust the door alignment with the striker. Let it find the door and not the other way around.

Lightly snug the striker and always hold the button down on the door handle as you slowly close the door. You can actually see how the striker is lining up from behind the door. If the striker is wrong you will be able to see and feel the “V” shape of the latch opening drag on the striker. When aligned properly, the striker will only touch the spring loaded catch inside the latch mechanism. You should be able apply a little pressure to the door and it will spring back if there is no drag. That’s why they “POP OPEN”. Fully tighten the striker and check the alignment again. If all looks and feels good close the door normally and it should close like a brand new car. The striker adjustment is a little trial and error deal but shouldn’t take more than a few minutes.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts