Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers side door on my 69 Nova does not shut tightly against the roof "frame" of my car. This only occurs right around the upper part of the A pillar but fits tighly in all other areas. I have had this car for 20 years and it has always been like this. My dad bought the car off the original owners and knew them...they claim it has never been wrecked. Amyone else have this issue and is there anyway to safely adjust this?

Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
The upper door frame is welded to the door shell. I may not be welde in the correct spot. The rear of my right door doesn't fit well.

·
6,558 Posts
I had to do some "tweaking" of the door frame window channels on the doors of my 74 and there could one or more problems.

The one problem may be like tnblkc230wz stated with an improperly located and then factory welded frame to the remaining door structure. Sometimes you don't notice these things or it was within factory tolerance at the time but to correct this problem (and I had to do it on one of my doors) is to drill out the factory spot welds, relocate the frame in the right position and then plug weld it back together. This modification or fix is for when the gap on the back top portion may be low or high up against the roof drip rail and then gets better towards the windshield. The back edge of the may also have a tapered gap being toight or loose at the top back corner of the door window frame against the quarter glass B pillar and then tighter or looser at the top back edge of the door skin.

The other problem may be just the back corner of the window frame is bent in or outward. I think this problem is from people opening or closing the door and grabbing it there thus bending it. The nice thing about this problem is it doesn't require and cutting, drilling or welding but just a block of wood and some weight applied by yourself to bend thinks back into alignment. On this tweak, roll the window glass down and if the window frame sticks out from the roof line, place a piece of 2x4 in the door jamb close to the striker pin in the jamb and then push the door closed against it to hold it in position. Now with some force, push the window frame in some. Now take the 2x4 out of the way and close the door fully and check your work and repeat with more force if needed to get it to bent inward.
If it's the opposite way with the window frames back top edge in too far then you would place the block of wood up high where it's tight and then close the door against it and then with pressure on the door it will bend it outward. Again, slowly work your way until it's right. When pushing on a thin panel like the door skin, try and spread out the force with your leg or open hand to where you don't damage the panel. You want to massage the stuff to fit better and not go after it with brute force. If you would try and push in with your fists and used enough force you could bend in the panels skin in that area and then you have more problems to deal with.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts