Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Well I am absolutely stuck trying to get my doors to work on my 72. They are donor doors as the originals had too much bottom rust to use. I installed new bushings and pins and that did not help either. The passenger one won't shut at all because the loose piece opposite the lower hinge that goes around the roller(when it is shutting) won't go in the roller. And the driver's side sags, and even when its lifted by me for its correct position to close, it still hits the striker bolt. I tried turning the striker--no luck--it is STUCK. So now I am a complete stand still--any ideas would greatly help move the project along! Thanks --Eric S

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
With fenders off, use a rope to the rafters in your garage and lift the door a bit higher then whatyou want it when finished. Then tighten the bolts in the hinges going to the pillar. Loosen the rope. Keep doing this higher and higher until the door fits properly.

Best solution for sagging hinges is to replace them though. New pins and bushings dont always do it!

·
Premium Member
8,047 Posts
You can get replacement striker posts. If you have to use a pipe wrench on it on the outside of the bolt. You can also get to the back side if you remove the rear door panel. Put some lube on it, that should help get it loose.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If the doors have the welded hinges like the hinges on the post they should fit pretty close. If they are bolted to the door then you have to loosen them and reset them. Early doors had bolted hinges and newer doors had welded. You will have to reset the striker so you got to loosen it somehow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts