Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just removed the new door cards which were installed by previous owner. They are black and I am returning the interior back to original blue. The clips are double headed and held the door cards less than snug to the door. Should I use this type on my new door panels. Why not a single head so they fit tighter to the door. Never installed door panels before so any info is a great help. Thanks.
20200812_101649.jpg

·
6,502 Posts
This is not the best shot as I was documenting the ink stamp on the door panel concerning originality on my 68, but on the right side is one of the original clips which do hold the panels tight on the metal.

One of the clips in the plastic insert in the door:

And in the door, which may be only on the 68, is a plastic insert filler to where the clip on the door panel pushes into it and locks in. In the below picture it is the small brown circle with the hole in the middle over on the left side of the picture.

I will say make sure the new clips are orientated the right way.

I used many of the old clips like what you pictured and I called them Christmas Tree clips and on those, they went right into holes punched in steel but the second flap kept the fastener standing proud of the surface. Those were used I believe starting on the 73 Nova's with the molded plastic door panels.

Jim

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
Yeah, those plastic ones are later model clips. The metal ones Jim pictured fit a ton of GM cars in the period. I stock them as do some local auto part stores. Make sure the plastic receiver plugs in the doors they go into are still good as well. They often break or are missing.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you are going to buy just one set of the metal clips make sure you are super careful when pushing on the door panel and that the alignment is dead on. Those clips must be made from eggshells. The break easily and do not bend

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all your useful comments. Much appreciated.
Adam from SB2s if you ever come across these unobotanium parts - 71 original small block spark plug retainer clips pick me please please.
20200813_091535.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts