Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one ever replaced the hinge pins? how easy is it and do I need special tools?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have done both doors. I would recommend getting a rebuild kit from Classic industries. Comes with spring, Bushings and pin. You will need help or you can use and engine hoist to hold up the door. You will need to cut or grind the bottom of the pin and drive it out. Use lots of lubricant and once you have the first pin out you can use it to drive the others out. HB sells a spring tool for under 10 bucks that will help in installing the new spring. Hope this helps

Good luck.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Get a spring compresser to remove door spring and some times the hinge pins are tough to remove because it is hard to get a good swing with a hammer to drive pin up and out.I used a impact gun to drive my pins out and then finished them up with vise grips to wiggle them out the rest of the way.I remove my doors by myself all the time by holding the door with one hand and removing top pin with the other hand just be careful not to hit the fender while removing door

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the into I didn't think to get the spring removal tool. I bought the hinge pin kit a year or 2 ago. How long does it take usually to do just one door?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Put 3 layers of masking tape on the door edge and fender edge. If they hit they will not scratch, easy job but a major pain in the butt some times. Good luck

·
Registered
77 Posts
A floor jack and a block of wood will help support the doors weight while removing or to help stabalize when working on the hinges.
-Pat

·
Registered
761 Posts
Before I sold my 74, I replaced the doors with ones from a 73 (original ones were rotted out). It was a huge pain to do, took a lot of hammer slamming and penetrating oil to finally get it out. I also heated it up with a propane torch , which helped a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts