Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my new driver side door seal about a month ago. Door aligns perfectly without it. After install I now stick out past rear qtr on bottom of the door. I have a 1966 nova ss. Any helpful ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Hello,
My 65 two door post has the same issue. I do not have the passengers side on yet due to not enough room at the moment in my garage. I am hoping once the car see some summer heat it will settle in. Maybe try a hair dryer to heat the rubber up being careful not to distort it and then close the door and pull it in on the bottom somehow ( my door panels are off0. I was told by my body guy, this is a very common problem- even with newer vehicles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last night I took to seal off and experimented with heat, hot water and other ideas to soften or "reshape" it. It seems heat is not as effective as I thought. I used a heat gun and got the rubber to an untouchable temp and clamped it in a vise. The seal returned to it's normal shape and was the same durometer. I always see 2nd gen novas with this issue and I can't live with it. Any additional ideas would be appreciated. My body guy said to try another brand seal as an option. Does anybody have experience with this?

·
6,591 Posts
I always see 2nd gen novas with this issue and I can't live with it. Any additional ideas would be appreciated. My body guy said to try another brand seal as an option. Does anybody have experience with this?
If you cannot get a brand to conform properly and not put excessive pressure on the door, trunklid, or whatever, then one could rework the area where the weatherstrip is located. Who knows it might only take a few love taps with a BFH and a block of wood.

The older cars only fitted together so well and when putting a car together and one is concerned about panel to panel levels then one needs to address this in the bodywork stage with putting weatherstrips on and in place to double check things. It's kinda late to back track once the car is coming back together and then things don't fit right because things were not checked earlier. I know on my 74 hatchback I bought 3 weatherstrips for the hatch and when I was working on it I knew with two new full quarters and a new taillight panel I would be better off putting in a test weatherstrip to get things right and then for the final assembly throw that one out and install a new one from the same company and batch.

Jim

·
Registered
169 Posts
rubber baby bonkers!

The rubber has to seat or may I say smashed. it might take a month to six months or longer depending on where you live just wait it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your input. Door alignment is better but not show quality. I will continue to try other seals or even modify my seals to reduce thickness. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Try applying some car wax in the area that the seal hits on, which will allow the seal to slide a little and compress more. I have done this in the past. It's worth a try

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I believe the newer seals are made from different material. They have less give than the originals. The original ones were more spongie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts