Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put a 350 ho crate in my nova....not all to thrilled with crate but anyway...i have fuel going to the engine and i have spark and my plugs are in the right order on my dist. but when i crank it ill get like 2 or 3 little pops and then nothing then maybe like 3 or 4 seconds of running but then its gone... any ideas what might be wrong?

my friend said maybe the timming is off but im not sure.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
i like

i like to pull the valve cover off and watch the valves for #1, when you see the intake valve shut , you know its getting ready to come up on compression. Then you can take a rachet and roll the motor up to where you want it timed on the timing tab. Then put an inductive timing light on #1 with the ignition turned on. Rotate the distributor while pulling the trigger on the timing light. When the timing light emits a flash, tighten the distributor down there. Its close enough to start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i think im going to have to try that.. it came "pre-timed" but i tried the 180 with the dist and all that happens now is it spits fuel back out the carb.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Like someone else said it is good to watch the valves with the valve cover off.When the exhaust valve closes on #1 cylinder then it's on the right stroke.

Make sure the plug wires are indeed in the correct position.

Have you tried to pour a small amount of gas down the carb to see if it will run longer than with just the fuel pump.

·
Registered
508 Posts
just because you set the dist close dosent mean it will run right first time. you might have to advance or retard the dist. a little bit to get it to run right. there is alot of room to move it so try one way and if it gets worse go the other. it will eventaily find a sweet spot and peer for ya. it sounds like to me there is not enough timing in it. so if it dose it again try advancing the timing first to see what it dose.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I don't think you were 180 out to start. Just needed a little adjusting. I don't think it would run at all if it was 180 out.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
no it will not run at all 180* out. did you try resetting the distributor with the engine at #1 TDC compression stroke?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not yet i spun it the 180 and then put it back when it didnt even fire a cylinder. but unfortunatly im back at school so i cant try to reset the timing but thats the next step

1 - 11 of 11 Posts