Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently was foolish enough to buy 2 novas off of eBay . I had to have them.. once my Mind was set there was no telling me no. Well guess what ? I got ripped of on both of them and eBay won’t do a damn thing about it. The eBay buyer protection does not apply to vehicles over 10 years old. That’s right they basically told me that a seller can describe the car they are selling how ever they want . The only way you can dispute the purchase is if the seller doesn’t deliver the car . Or deliver the title. I called them 10 different times. Spoke to the highest level of management. All the same answer . They told me to call consumer protection. Or law enforcement. Or civil law suit... both vehicles had different engines then advertised. And the condition was way worse then described. The one guy told me that the car had a heids 4 link on it come to find out it is cheap helix Chinese garbage!!!! The other car was supposed to a solid rust free car well guess what it has like 4 patches in the floor. Same scumbag person said it was a 350 sbc . Well guess what it’s a POS 307 OMG!! 5 different people pleaded with me not to buy from eBay but I HAD to have these cars....??

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. eBay is like the newspaper, Barrett-Jackson, and so on, they only put you together with the seller no guarantees about what the seller tells you about the car.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Sorry about your sellers not being honest i have sold my cars on e-bay and was very honest and also provided a very detailed listing of the cars + posted many pictures as possible and shared anything requested always talked to the buyers. Its your responsibility to asked the right questions sounds like you learned a lesson why blame Ebay you should have done your homework.

i would recommend a visit of any purchase of high value.

I have been thinking about selling my Nova and i will most likely sell it thru Ebay

Steve

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Real estate and Vehicle auctions on eBay are non-binding bids. This means you are not obligated as a purchaser to buy the car or property until you inspect it. If you show up and it doesn't meet your expectations you can walk away. I learned this the hard way also.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
i spent over a year looking at ads for what i exactly wanted. finally i found a 66 that was what i wanted an the price was near what i had to spend. an the good thing it was only a 3 hour drive to look at it. i spent 2 hours sliding around under the car an thru the car. i checked all the working electrical an then a short test drive. i made an offer they made another offer then i made a new offer an finally we all agreed on a price. but i felt sure of what i was buying but still held my breather for 5-6 months that what i bought wasn't going to blow up or burn down. so i'd say look at the car in person or beware of what it is. i bought my nova from grand rapids auto gallery. one thing that was nice they took care of all the paper work an cash transfer, plus part of the deal they shipped it to me so no drive home in the month of feb. in michigan.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sorry you had a bad time of it. Hopefully you can take the cars and fix them up a little and be happy. I have bought 4 cars on ebay without inspecting them. I did talk to the owners and had a few surprises. The cars I bought were as described but the main thing was they were hard to find or a great deal and I think I can work with them as my hobby. All the best to you friend.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Bought mine on eBay too. Inspection is a must but even if you are the winning bidder, you are not obligated to buy it if the car was misrepresented once you do inspect it, however sounds like you didn’t inspect the car before taking possession so you may be stuck with them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Unfortunately the cars were too far for me to inspect. I did ask a lot of questions. Felt pretty comfortable with the sellers. But both of them were dishonest. I also had to have both of the cars shipped which was a nightmare..the drivers themselves were awsome, communicated well. It was the brokers that arrange the shipping. They also told me lie after lie. One of them even charged my credit card more then we agreed to in our contract!! I think the worst part of it is that eBay has posted all over the eBay motors that there is buyer protection. Which give the buyer a false sense of security.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have bought a bunch of cars off Ebay and sold a bunch as well. I have never had an experience that I can complain about. I have not gone and inspected every single car myself, but I always have someone go look at it for me if I can't go. I never buy completed cars, only projects, so my expectations are somewhat different than somebody looking for a car that is complete and ready to get in and drive. If I were to buy a completed car, there is no way I would not jump on a plane and go look at the car. Sellers can lie, and many just do not know what they are talking about. To take a seller's word as to correctness, condition, or options, just is not wise.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes, these were projects as well. But when a person says there’s surface rust. Then you find out that there are holes all the way through the size of baseballs, it’s a kick in the nuts. Unfortunately like you I don’t have connections in every state to go inspect cars for me. Lol

·
Registered
20,088 Posts
Bought last two off of Ebay out of California and had them shipped to me here in Texas. Both were/are rust free cars, completely happy with them. Actually had a Nova friend inspect my last one, but I was gonna buy it as I had seen the pictures of the body that I needed to see.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, these were projects as well. But when a person says there’s surface rust. Then you find out that there are holes all the way through the size of baseballs, it’s a kick in the nuts. Unfortunately like you I don’t have connections in every state to go inspect cars for me. Lol
It is actually pretty amazing how many people will be glad to go look at a car for you if you just let it be known that you are in need. I belong to a few discussion boards, and it usually not a problem to find someone to go look at a car for you. It is a two way street, as I have gone and looked a many cars for other people. I really only have an expertise in Corvettes, but I can tell when a car is a rust bucket, even though I may not be able to offer an opinion as to whether the car it truly an original car.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
I too have bought and sold a few vehicles in ebay with out much issue. Only once did I get one that was misrepresented. My other half bought it without me even looking at the ad, and when it showed up she was shocked. I kinda figured it would be the way it was. You kinda have to learn how to really read ads, not just the words they use.

·
Super Moderator
3,552 Posts
It's still hard to hold a person to the exact content of the copy of the ad. As discussed here, many are cleverly written, and omit certain facts, or are confusing intentionally. I've had that experience here on SNS even with parts I've bought. While it's one thing to have parts misrepresented, a car is a bigger question. I'd say that, as a rule, for anything $4K and down, accurate pictures and descriptions might work. Over that, if you really want the car, take a flight, rent a car, and see it for yourself. That $300-700 trip to see the car would be gladly paid by someone completely burned by a rusty car or a bondo wagon you're stuck with to be able to go back and undo the deal. The process of looking at a number of cars also educates you as to what to look for and what to ask about over the phone.

So many SNS members have offered to look at cars in their area for potential buyers here on site. One of the great things about SNS!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
alllymc.... you what you said makes so much seance. it would be cool to have a place were a buyer could look who lives near by. i'd go to look at a nova for some one with in a short distance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the longer that this topic drags on the more distorted it becomes. I guess my point when starting this discussion was to point out the fact that eBay says you have buyer protection when buying a vehicle. When it comes down to it you have nothing if the vehicle is over 10 years old. Whatever happened to someone being honest instead of giving a false representation of the item they were selling. Me myself, I would never miss represent anything I am selling.Space simply because I do not want that on my conscience. Another thing is you never know who you’re dealing with on the other end.. I’m not a religious man. But I do believe in karma

1 - 20 of 25 Posts