Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to florida next week. seems I saw a bill board before off I-75 that said Don Garlits drag race museum .any body know about this place? I am heading to marco island for a week and thought it would be cool to visit. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
It' in Ocala and I've been there and you will thoroughly enjoy it if you love drag racing. If I ever get back to Florida I'll go again.

I'll tell you what really struck me were those really early rails and cars. They looked like something a high school kid with a welder would build in his garage - and that's about what they were. Man, talk about safety stuff coming a loooonnnnggg way! It's hard to believe they actually climbed in some of those things and then went 150mph in them. Can you say "big ones??" :D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
It rocks! Haven't been in about 20 years, but you'll enjoy it. You can see it from I-75.

I picked this up in his Gift Shop back in the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
I went a year ago and if you are a drag racing fan, you will love it! Give yourself at least an hour walk through it. Lots of race cars, memorabilia, trophies, etc. Sometimes Don is even there!

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
been twice. it is awesome...one time when we went there, he had just got one of his swamp rats back and was doing dry hops and burnouts in the parkinglot...it was sweeeeeeet.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Don't speed through Ocala you WILL get a ticket!;) It's a small town cut through from Jacksonville to Gainesville and they have nuthin' better ta do!:D

Jimmy

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm going back this weekend, and to the Gatornationals, it will be the best 12 bucks you ever spent, take your camra, and Big will probley be there.
Mark

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys got me all excited, i cant wait. Im leaving in 7 days. hope to be there saturday morning. If not will stop on the way back thru the following friday. I wish I was driving the nova. but unfortionatly ill be in a mini van!
Oh well. when I get back the snow should be all gone and out comes the 65:D

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I'm heading that way around the same time 3/24 early ,a little less driving than you .I'll be checking out all the Mini vans with MI. plates !Final destination Sarasota ,By the way are there any good shows/swap meets/cruise nites you locals can help me out with ?Last week in March.Have a safe trip & thanks for the info from the local Steves Guys. :beer:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As cdan66 said. A good swap meet or show would be nice to see while there!. Ill be on marco Island all of the last week of march. If anybody knows of some shows,cruises or swap meets in my area let me know. A good way to beat the winter blues.. While you guys were enjoying the heat last night I was out riding my snowmobile in 20deg weather:eek: . Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
This has nothing to do with the museum; but. A long time ago I saw an add in a local car trader where someone was looking for an old hot rod. It had a picture of it and the guys name and phone number. A couple weeks later, a saw an article about Don Garlits and one of his first cars. It was the car from the wanted add, I double checked the add and it was from "Don" in Ocala. FL. I always wanted call and talk to him, he one of those people if given a chance to anyone you ever wante he would be on my list.

·
3,875 Posts
Don't speed through Ocala you WILL get a ticket! It's a small town cut through from Jacksonville to Gainesville and they have nuthin' better ta do!
That is actually Waldo that is the notorious speed trap, which is between Jax and Gainesville. Ocalla is south of Gainesville and way south and west of Jax.

I've lived here around fifteen years and have never been to the museum, but I have met Big Daddy at the Gainesville Raceway. He usually comes for Gatornationals and Super Chevy with some of his museum cars. Very cool cars and a cool guy.

Speaking of Power Tour, it is starting in Kissimmee (east of Disney) and it's first stop is in Gainesville. I am finishing the Ventura (pics coming) this weekend and I am planning on driving in the Tour for as long as the wife can stand it.

Bruce

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well all I can say is WOW!!.. What an awsome place. we stopped by friday afternoon on the way back to michigan. Only had about a hour to stay. I could spend two days there , if not with the wife and 2 young kids (6 &3)
thats a unbeleivable place. When I die, thats were I want to go to spend eternity!!!.. The saftey stuff has come a long way since big daddy got started. definatly going to make sure every time I go to florida I stop by.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts