Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Hope your all having a good summer and atleast trying to stay cool. Anyways, I'm having problems with my dome light. I'm on the 2nd one now, due to the base melting and the bulb dropping into the lens. Can someone tell me why it's getting so hot it's melting the base? CI was nice enough to send me a new kit, which is in it now, thinking it was a defective part, but now I don't think so. I'm using a standard bulb, but it sure seemss to get real hot, which doesn't seem right to me. I know they get warm, but I have actually "burned" my fingers on the bulb, and it wasn't a "Here's your sign" test either, lol
Thanks everybody
Paul

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not leaving it on very long. If I have to leave doors open, I pull the bulb. I know now my bulb clips are just hanging there, as the plastic is melted and wont hold.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Don't know if your a purist but if not LED is what i did for my 3rd gen. I think Classic Industries has them. No heat issue and light is way better.

·
Registered
708 Posts
can you post a link...i wanna go that way too...in my 65 and 67:yes:
This is what I purchased. I like this LED the best because it is totally encased unlike others. I am referring to back of bulb Example I'm talking about http://ktautoracing.com/product.php?productid=1665&cat=89&page=1

Its not overly bright and did take my dremel grind off little bit on sides of my bulb holder on both sides. I did this because because it was going to be to close to the tabs. It might not have even mattered.

It really is ironic says Nova advanced on box. LOL

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XN9PX0/[/ame]

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/led_dome_light_-_festoon/5762/universalputcop45230175-.aspx

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It might be a problem with just cheap repro units.

I know I got a new dome light base from Classic Industries when I got the car and ever since then I've gone through countless bulbs. It's like the base just won't hold the wires sturdy and somehow it ends up ripping bulbs apart.

I don't even know how to fix it. I've basically given up on it. I installed an AAW harness and have the courtesy lights under the dash now, but I'd like to get the dome light fixed one day. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
I am using this LED panel inside a CI reproduction housing and lens. Bright white light, no heat, no melting of parts. Allows the door to be opened for extended periods of time without battery drain too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i want to go that route as well just because of the great light output. Before you guys order them online check some local auto stores. I live in new jersey and there are multiple local stores that sell LED lights simply because everyone seems to be going LED now.

Goodluck with getting the problem resolved

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Another thing to consider is the heat caused by electrical resistance. A good example of this is why the bulb gets hot in the first place. However, if there is electrical resistance in the wire connections at the clips or where the clips contact the bulb, heat will be generated at that connection unrelated to the heat from the bulb.

It is my view that electrical resistance in the wire connections is the typical cause of the clips melting the housings that came from the factory. I have never seen any aftermarket part that came close to the quality of the factory components. I would go with the suggested L.E.D. conversion if you have an aftermarket housing.

Steve

·
Registered
708 Posts
Ok buy the cheapo stuff if you want. I have had my LED in car for over two years. Also you may think it don't have enough light with four squares but believe me it puts out more than enough light.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
A common cause for that problem is the wrong bulb. There are many bulbs that they will sell, that will fit, but the bulb is much higher output (aka:more heat) than the original bulbs.

LED is a good way to go. Very low draw & heat.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
I like Bruces link for the mere fact that they've incorporated a heat sink on the back of the LED array.

These guys have a multitude of festoon bulbs for you to choose from:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/festoon.html

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts