Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:D:D

Craigslist score:

Explorer 8.8 differential, disc brakes, 31 spline axles, 3.73 gear...

Kinda crufty on the outside, but so far so good. I still have to figure out how I'm going to get it narrowed, but it's a start.

Attachments

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
what gears ya got now Pat and what are ya thinkin' of having?

what brakes are on your car now, drums? if you get it shortened pay close attention to your wheels and any possible future upgrades... backspacing can really suck when you're buying wheels...

naw, it won't make yer car asswide, to the contrary, might go the other way. look, it barely made yer wallet skinnier! :yes:

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I purchased a short side axle from the recyling yard, the had a pro jig it and cut it for the new short axle to fit. Great buy on the 8.8 though. I paid three times that for mine a few years ago. I have not gone on to have the axles redrilled for GM 5-lug pattern yet. I'm guessing there should be some multi-pattern rotors out there?

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have an 8.2 3.08 posi in the car now. I'm afraid of trashing it with the 406...plus it turns about 1800RPM @ 55, which is too low for this engine. The 8.8 has 3.73 gears, so that should help bring the RPM's up a bit, and be stronger. I spec'ed the engine and trans with 3.7x in mind, so that's what I need...

I made some calls yesterday, one place quoted me $225 to shorten the one tube and weld on the spring pads if I gave them the bare housing and the measurements. Part of me wants to try to ******* it and do the narrowing myself. I read one slick method where they drilled out the plug welds, pulled the tube, shortened it, then pressed it back in. No jig required...

I'm thinking of using some aftermarket axles and asking if I can get them drilled for the GM pattern. The rotors I can drill myself.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I put an 8.8 in my 55 and cut both sides, long side 7", short side 4" then swapped the axles to center the pig. Used a large pipe cutter to make the cuts, used a large piece of 3" angle clamped to the tube to keep the ends straight, welded a little at a time and it worked great. If you're interested I can provide photo bucket photos.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the 400 with the 700r4 and 3:73's? i think you'll absolutely love it. the perfect all around gear for the OD. i thought it'd be nice to try my car (TKO/3:73's) with a 4:11. i really think it'd be lots more fun but i don't have the kinda money to try that kinda stuff... i'll be happy with the 3:73's. i cruise real good @ 80-85mph with just a light breathing. (about 2100-2200) i didn't think i'd hurt too bad with '11's but i made i think the right choice with 3:73's.

happy for ya Patman... hey, were you rear drums before? manual or power? what are you thinking now?

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
the 400 with the 700r4 and 3:73's? i think you'll absolutely love it. the perfect all around gear for the OD. i thought it'd be nice to try my car (TKO/3:73's) with a 4:11. i really think it'd be lots more fun but i don't have the kinda money to try that kinda stuff... i'll be happy with the 3:73's. i cruise real good @ 80-85mph with just a light breathing. (about 2100-2200) i didn't think i'd hurt too bad with '11's but i made i think the right choice with 3:73's.

happy for ya Patman... hey, were you rear drums before? manual or power? what are you thinking now?
Wow i have 355's and at 80-85 im running around 2400-2450 RPM's...your car is magic i guess:devil:

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, rear drums now, so the discs will be welcome. I'm sticking with the manual CPP master. The 8.8 is a c-clip setup, but the discs will act as retainers, so that's better than the 8.2 also.

I did some disassembly and cleanup today, it's rustier than I had hoped, but that's what wire wheels are for, right? It should be ok with some elbow grease. I have to find someone who will let me use their sandblaster...

I'd like to see pics of the angle-iron narrowing, I have considered that approach too. What kind of a pipe cutter would work on these tubes??? I was thinking of using my chopsaw with a metal cutting blade.

I still like the pull-the-tube approach, but I don't have the hydraulic ram.

·
4,546 Posts
Also if you get the F150 8.8 std style pinion yoke you can use your stock drive line with a conversion u-joint spicer # 6-3022X

Miles

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just for the record...there's a thread on this swap in the best of:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27317

The stock Explorer rear is offset to one side, so there is a long axle and a short one, and the difference is about 3" between them. The "slick trick of the week" is to get another short side axle, and narrow the long side tube by the difference. The result has an overall width which is pretty close to the stock 1st/2nd gen Nova diff width.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts