Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Restore engine treatment work?I just saw a commercial on the discovery channel for this product.Just curious.....Or is it snake oil??Thanks bm

·
Registered
801 Posts
It sounds like it's jut a temporary solution to a permanent problem. I don't really think it could do a good job, at least not for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Restore does work! ive used it several times in the past,and always had good results.but you are suppose to add it every time you change your oil,you can feel a little better response. try it!

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My engine is fine.Purrs like a kitten:D I was just curious.I've seen that commercial for about 15 or 20 years.Someone must be buying it cause they still make it.bm

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
A friend flew from Minneapolis to Seattle to pick up a 64 Dodge 2 door sedan. Picked it up at midnight and headed back home. Got into Montana and the old 318 was making all kinds of unfriendly noises. Called me, I told him keep coming as far as you can and I'll come with a trailer when it dies. Added 2 cans of Restore and told his wife, just drive it till it won't go anymore. Within two blocks the motor went quiet, and they made it to within 40 miles of home when it started sounding like it was going to come apart, but made it home. Yeah, I think its snake oil, but the stuff must do something, if only temporarelly (sp).

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I dunno, but have grown up adding a little Marvel Mystery oil to the oil when I change it and then pouring the rest in the gas tank. My little volkswagon has over 500,000 miles on it and still going strong.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I used it in a 250 ford 6 cylinder.
#1 cylinder died and would foul a plug in 100 miles. I used to rotate plugs around. Put a can of restore in it ( hey what did I have to lose?) and it stopped fouling the plug and stopped smoking. Never put another can in it and it sounded/ acted fine until I gave it to my step son, who wrecked it.

Its the only snake oil that I have seen that made any noticable differenace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've used it in two vehicles, 4cyl Cavalier with 85K and V8 Nova with 126K. Both had a noticeable difference in power. The Nova stopped smoking altogether except the valve guide smoke on startup. I also had a friend put it in a V8 Caprice with about 160K that was given to him. It smoked like crazy before, after it was very minimal. FWIW

Chris

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Ok, here is the story....................Back in around 1988, thats when this stuff came out, I was managing a Nationwise autoparts in Carrolton Ga. The rep gave all my guys and me two cans each to use. Now, as I still do, do NOT believe in any of these "Fix in a Bottle" items. So read the following and take it as you will:

I had just bought a 75 Trans Am to restore. It had the 400 and it was thrashed. When I drove it home, no lie, this thing smoked so bad, you could not see behind me. It only would get to 50 MPH and I had to go 20 miles to get it home. Being the smartass I am, I said to the rep."I gotta a car to try it on." So I took both V8 size cans and put it in. I kid you not, the car within about 20 minute almost stopped smoking at idle. I had to take it out for a drive, with someone following me, and it only smoked alittle now, so I decided to drive this thing for a week and it only used about two quarts of oil in the time. So by this time I was ready to pull the engine, so out back it went and when I tore down the engine, the number 7 piston only had part of the compression ring left on it. No other rings. I was amazed, so if you really have no other choice, why not use it. As for damage to the engine, I don't see anything out that don't gum up or ruin something internal. And for that stuff to drop the smoke by aroung 75% of a piston with no rings is amazing.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i worked in a parts house also... had this one particular customer who always seemed to be running... the guy never walked... he'd run in the door... grab a can of "instant engine overhaul in a can" (what he called it) and he'd run out...

"sold me another car Johnny... write this down for me willya ???" and he'd be gone...

sold LOTSA that stuff to a few used car dealers... they swore BY it... not at it ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts