Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I may be really out of touch, but if it doesn't have the original engine, isn't this just another rusty Nova? Without the engine, it can never be what it once was.

Jim Smith

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
The car belongs to lt1mike from the site. It is in the registry. He has a POP and original owners docs. I dont think just because it has a CE motor and the original motor is gone its just another rusty old nova. Very few of them lived thru the thrashing they got. You cannot help but hammer the L-79 it didnt come alive till 4 grand! This a great color with some not so common RPO's like AC and a 3 speed. I would hope someone gets it and restores it back to original.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
It shows to be a BT 3:55 Posi if my records are right.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Someone needs to save that car! I like it a lot, at least it is different. It must be saved :yes:.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Niche Market !

I truly do appreciate the oddities made by all the car manufacturers...... but this rare optioned Chevy II does not equate to a high dollar resale car. My guess would be 60 plus grand for the resto and obtaining the 68 only rare parts required would be a hair pulling chalenge. Another member of this site is trying to sell his ultra rare 66 Acadian 2dr sedan L79 and a 3 speed on the column........ all numbers matching !! I'm not sure if the right buyer has surfaced yet for his ride either. But awesome none the less !!

We all appreciate them............ but would you ever recoup the investment?? I don't like to say this but....... in the B-J land, this appears to be a "Re-body" candidate like the COPO's they flog???

All I'm saying is .... "Rare" does not equal $$$$. But this one does also have a great color combo and my fav....tinted glass. I would love to see this car fully restored and would drool all over it at the shows.... but only someone with a passion for this car will do it.

Good luck on the sale. Ric........ again, my 2 cents and I hope I didn't Pi$$ anyone off !!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Ya know if memory serves me right:eek:, back then the 3 speed was an insurance -$$ thing.Had a friend that special ordered a '70 Dodge Demon with 340ci 3:91 Suregrip and 3 speed,,,said he saved big on the insurance.
How much was the 4 speed option,,,like $50? :eek:

·
13,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much was the 4 speed option,,,like $50? :eek:
Actually, it was a $185.00 option, which was a significant amount of money in 1968. The L79 engine option was $198.00. Most of the 3 speeds came about as a result of guys being able to afford the engine or the 4 speed, but not both. I experienced that exact thing when I was a young guy buying a brand new 65 Falcon Sport Coupe. I wanted the 289 V/8, but couldn't afford the optional four speed, so I had to settle for the no extra cost 3 speed on the column. How rare would that car be today:eek:.

Bob

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yea Bob,,had a friend that bought a new 65 Comet 289ci 271hp and put a 4 speed in it later because he couldn't afford the payments at the time of sale:eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the support everyone. I appreciate it. I'm not feelin much love from Ebay.....which is kind of surprising?? A couple days left and only one bid. I thought I'd get more interest, especially since its an L79. I guess I'll just be patience and see where it ends up.

Mike

·
Registered
871 Posts
Mike, don't let it get you down. Times are tough for everyone. The prices these old cars were bringing a couple of years ago are not feasible in today’s economy it seems. Still the rare cars are holding there own still in my opinion. Unfortunately the nova crowd isn’t as big as the Chevelle and Camaro crowd. Just the other day on the SYC site a numbers matching 68 L79 chevelle sold for 6500.00. That was a good buy!!! I heard from a friend the same car was on e-bay and was only bid up to the low 2000.00 dollar range? He didn’t know the exact price. But my point is not everyone watches e-bay you may want to try and advertise on other sites also. All us nova enthusiast know what you have and respect it for what it is. Just finding that person to pull the trigger will be the challenge!! Just my 2 cents!!

Jason

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Nukledragger told me about this Nova and I had to check it out. I am from Shreveport,No longer live there but do work there, and it looks like a Nova that I attempted to buy quite a few years ago. I did not know then it was worth anything outlandish but only knew it was a 2dr V8 Nova. If its the same car, it sat at a small gas engine shop in south Shreveport for a number of years out in the weather and on the ground. The car was not parked where someone driving by could see it you would have a need to do business at this place to have known about it. I lost interest and lost track of it. Just my $.02 Dale :cool:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Could not afford the 4 speed

Funny this was brought up. A guy here in my city purchased a new 1970 Chevelle Convertible. 300 Horse 350. It is 3 speed standard. I asked him why he did not order the 4 speed. He said that he could not afford the option. He really kicks his aZZ.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts