Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am about to install new polygraphite bushing in my rear leaf springs and shackle mounts. They are supposed to be "graphite" impregnated to eliminate the squeaking common to poly bushings.

With this in mind should I still be putting lube on the metal-to-bushing surfaces? Is the lube for more than just the 'squeaks' or would graphite impregnated bushings eliminate the need for lube?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
NovaNate said:
I am about to install new polygraphite bushing in my rear leaf springs and shackle mounts.

Should I be putting any type of lube on the metal-to-bushing surfaces?
i believe that there is a "purple" grease made just for this. ask where you bought the bushings. or, try madision springs in monona if you can't find it at a parts store.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
yes I used some white/clear grease that came with my energy suspension bushings. I would sugest that you put tons of grease on the bushings. I put what I thought was a good amount on mine and they squeek and creak. So now i need to take them out and smother them in grease. ( at least i think thats whats causing the creaks)

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good ideas...I will try to contact P-S-T and ask them...and if they recommend lubin' 'em up...I will be generous!;)

I have heard that straight poly bushings get squeaky...and supposedly the poly"graphite" are impregnated with graphite to keep them from squeaking but I didn't know if they still needed lube, or if they don't "need" lube if it would hurt if I used some?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If you can hear the suspension squeaking then your Engine isn't loud enough!:D Try changing mufflers until you can't hear it anymore!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You definitely want to use the grease. And plenty of it. Also, try to avoid getting it on your skin. That is really nasty stuff and is really hard to get off. The last time I installed polyurethane bushings, I wore nitride gloves. You can find them in the automotive section at Walmart.

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
I didn't lube the ones in my Monte Carlo. The only ones that developed a squeak were the ones in the sway bar. In my Nova, I used white lithium grease (recommended by PST if I wanted to use lube, when I phoned them). It's been fine for several years now. In most cases, I think you can go either way, but it's nice to have a little insurance, I guess. :)

Dan (lube away);)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
Can't you use some of that Kentucky Jelly :eek:
no that stuff is only good for packing an oil pump so it will get instant suction when you prime it

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Can't you use some of that Kentucky Jelly
Thats for lubing your shaft. (the ones the bushings go on)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts