Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 SS with a original bright blue interior. The kickpanels are the darkest part of the interior.
They have never been reconditioned, painted, etc. I'm wanting to paint them with GM Bright Blue interior paint from Classic Industries so they'll more closely match the rest of the interior. But if that's they way they are supposed to look (dark blue) then I'm hesitant to do it.

So, do you have a 66 with a bright blue interior? Are your kickpanels dark blue?

·
14,377 Posts
If you have an original interior, those kick panels must be original, too, but are you sure? It isn't unusual to see mismatched shades of interior colors, because many of the components were finished at different times and different places. 1st generation cars were really bad for having mismatched color shades on ash tray and glove box fronts. The dash was painted by Fisher Body, but the glove box and ash tray fronts were painted later by Chevrolet. Things were better by 66/67, but still not great. This could be the way car came.

Bob

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have asked the same question. I have a 66 with bright blue interior and it really looks like some of it could be bright blue and some of it could be light blue. I know things have faded over the years but my door panels sure look lighter than some of the other stuff in there. I don't have a clue about what color to look for if/when I get ready to paint my dash and the parts of the inside that have to be painted. I haven't looked at the kick panels but I did recently buy aftermarket with the built in speakers. They will have to be painted also.

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,904 Posts
Our '63 Model 300 wagon has three shades of Azure/Blue/Aqua interior. It's dash top is dark blue, aqua on the dashboard. It's interesting to say the least, I'm throwing a bit of Turquoise in it for the upholstery. Can't find the Original door panels so I'll stick to white.

·
Super Moderator
4,294 Posts
Glad the topic was brought up. I have seen a number of mismatched '62-'64 interior colors/parts, and it's hard to tell exactly what the original color was supposed to be. My '65 400 series wagon with aqua interior took no fewer than 4 original colors to match the interior painted surfaces to original. In my experience, aqua interiors have been the toughest, as colors seem to change within the year and perhaps by factory, and my convertible interior colors were original, but never did match up to what the paint codes would have dictated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts