Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
think there were a lot in 75 and 76 that work on ealier models... thats what ive got on my six... just pop the hood at the yard and look for the big cap.

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
There are 2 different types. My 75 had an external coil and the 78 has a coil in the cap. Either will work for the conversion. Here is a pic of the 78 coil in cap type and one of the external coil and a partial cap shot from the 75. I no longer have the 75 engine so I can't take a better photo. Notice how the external coil mounts, very simple and effective.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
I wouldn't think an external coil mounted to the engine block would be any better than an in-cap coil as far as heat is concerned :confused:

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
DriveWFO said:
I wouldn't think an external coil mounted to the engine block would be any better than an in-cap coil as far as heat is concerned :confused:
I agree, but it was the first year for HEI so maybe a little learning curve. I would be willing to bet the change was due to assembly line labor. Someone had to install it on the side cover bolts and that would have been an extra step going down the line. When placed in the cap it then became a subassembly step and the completed cap was in a bin. As the engine came by the cap assembly was installed eliminating the extra step of installing the coil.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Another option is to buy an electronic upgrade kit from Summit for around $70, but then you also have to buy the coil for another $30 - $40. It replaces the points in the distributor and uses an external coil. But if you can find a HEI in parts yard, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

I may even have an extra on one of the 250's I have, but I'll have to check.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am going through this right now and would recommend using the 78-80 coil in cap style HEI. The coil in cap style is the same thing used in GM HEI V8s and they work great. Ford and Chrysler guys convert HEIs for the vehicles all the time.

The 78-80 coil in cap is much easier to shop for and Accel has a cap and rotor set (8129) which will work with this setup.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I have used the 6 cyl HEI in both my 66 wagon and 68 Chevy II.

You will find them mostly in the 6 cyl pickups and a few vans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts