Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just recently my engine has started cranking over vary slowly when i am starting, so slow in fact that it wont start, the battery is a brand new optima and i bought the starter in January. all the connections are free of corrosion. i am stumped

After cranking it for a second, something under the hood starts to smell vary strong and sweet, is this the starter dieing? Could something have gone wrong internal to the engine so that now it is putting up a bunch or resistance? What?

I have had to pop start it a number of times, what kind of damage does that do?

When I bought the battery I charged it all night on a charger i have, so i thing it has enough juice.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Doesn't sound good. Hopefully, it's not hydrolocked.
Remove the spark plugs and see if it cranks easier. Watch for liquid blowing out the plug holes. If it still cranks hard with the plugs out, it may be the starter. Does the starter get hot?

·
Registered
34 Posts
check the amps on youre battery mine was fully charged and had 12 volts but no amps so that could be it if not I would go with pauls thought of it being hydro locked. what do you mean when you say you "pop start" it is that just towin it and popin it into gear?

·
Registered
121 Posts
You want to see how many amps your starter draws. Shouldn't be anymore than about 200 amps.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes by pop start i mean pushing it and letting out the clutch.

I found out today that the engine turns over fine when the ignition is disconnected, and i got the car to start fine wile slightly retarded, but if i try to advance it, it cranks slow.
i removed the plugs and tested , it did turn over quicker but no liquid. is hydrolock what happens when you have a head gasket leak and the coolant seizes up the engine?

i could not test the battery alone.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Try a different battery

I would try a different battery if you can get one from a car you know is working well or at least see if it starts with a jumper cable from another car.
The optima batteries don't have liquid in them but they can still fail internally. I've heard of several people that have had bad experiences with them.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
+1 on the battery.Ive had a battery go south like it had a bad ground or positive touching negative somewhere and the thing dam near exploded.It stunk bad also.Not an optima but nothing is 100%..Try a different battery just for the hell of it, if thats not it then on to the next item...Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts