Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to clean up the ceiling of my '70. The only place left to clean is underneath the Roof Supports, before I primer and apply sound dampening material.

The previous owner had spot welded the Supports in place, but they were too far off the ceiling anyway 1/2-3/4". I cut off the spot welds, but still can't seem to get the supports to move enough to come down. Do they have to be cut out? I hope not, as that is really more than I wanted to get into.

I guess if they have to be cut out that would explain why no one makes a replacement.

The car is already painted so I have to use caution whatever I do.

As an aside - They are a little on the flimsy side so I was debating whether or not they would have to be beefed up a bit before permanent placement.

·
6,591 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you and I discussed it a bit. I didn't see that second conversation. It doesn't look like you cut yours so I have no idea why mine won't come out. !!! It's holding me up.

·
6,591 Posts
Yes, you and I discussed it a bit. I didn't see that second conversation. It doesn't look like you cut yours so I have no idea why mine won't come out. !!! It's holding me up.
The single roof beam on my 74, I drilled out the spot welds, removed it, straightened it, added some more steel to it, then plug welded it back into place.

I just looked in the flickr album of mine and there is a shot without the left to right center roof beam/support in place and also of the drilled out the spot welds.

Jim

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the welds are out, it will wiggle side to side, just can't figure out how to get it out. I suppose I'll try some man handling this weekend, maybe I've been too cautious with it for the sake of protecting my paint.

·
6,591 Posts
All the welds are out, it will wiggle side to side, just can't figure out how to get it out. I suppose I'll try some man handling this weekend, maybe I've been too cautious with it for the sake of protecting my paint.
All of these car will be slightly different and have different gaps and working area's between things so maybe look at it and see if you could shift it to one side and then with a thin cutoff wheel, cut off the edge of the roof brace to then allow it to come out and hopefully the cut off part will not be so long as to keep the brace from being welded back in later. In other words let's say the brace is 54" wide and all that is needed when it's shifted to the left or right is 1/2" cut off and this cutoff was just excess wider than where the spot welds were at, then you would be good to do something like that BUT if you can only shift the brace a quarter of an inch left or right, then it might not be able to be more easily removed just due to it being in too tight of an area.

Jim

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey that's good thinking. That would at least keep me from having to chop it in half.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts