Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title:*Nova Newbie

Nova(s):*1974 Chevy Nova

I'm sort of new. Lol!! Truly the best forum for Nova fans.

I've been coming to this site for years and have found such great information from such helpful members. I'm having trouble finding an answer to an issue I've come across. I have a 74' Nova with a front disc/rear drum set up. I'm replacing the front set up completely. I've purchased a kit from Speedway online. Master cylinder, brake booster, pads, rotors, calipers, and flex lines. The kit also included a proportioning valve. My original set up did not have this valve, however it does have a combination valve. Do I need to use both or does one or the other do the job. I'm just surprised that the original owner did not install the proportioning valve if it's required. The previous owner stated the car was originally drums all around.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,753 Posts
Here is some good info about GM Brake valves.

http://www.camaros.org/brakevalve.shtml

When I installed my front Disc , I bought a new brake valve ( newer style "real" combo brake valve ) .. ( some look like 'valves' ... but are more like junction blocks --- with the 'brake light switch'.

My 69 used - what they called a "metering valve" .

#2 .. my new "combination valve" from Inline Tube.
One valve instead of two -- don't go cheap on your brake system -- plus, my metering valve was 'original old valve' .

Inline Tube Brake Valves :

https://www.inlinetube.com/pages/product-list?category=5200429388821017806

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much!!! I'll try and upload pics once I get the parts out of the car. Damn bolts are seized in and have begun to round off when using my open ended wrench. Ugh...

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,753 Posts
This is Number Two picture above :

(click "Top Bar' too have a bigger picture"

hope this helps

note: The "centering tool keeps the valve from tripping when bleeding your brakes.

just FYI

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I've managed to take pics of the combination valve that was in the car and the proportioning valve that was sent with the front disc brake kit from Speedway. I just don't know how to post images onto this site. Ugh...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts