Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be a simple answer but I have no idea how I would google it to make it work. My friend and I are planning to swap in a 400 Chevy into his car which currently runs a 350 with a 4 speed. We are planning to keep the 4 speed in there.

Another friend commented that we would need a different clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing. Is this true?

I did not think we would need any parts since they are both SBCs. He bought the transmission with a fairly stout clutch so the power increase should not be an issue. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
198 Posts
The 400 is externally balanced so you will have to change the flywheel. Everything else is the same.

·
Registered
416 Posts
400ci SBCs are stock/typically externally balanced unless it was a built with an aftermarket internal balance crank. For a external balance 383/400 the flywheel on the rear and harmonic balancer on the front would need to match the motor, but I can't see you needing a different clutch setup for the swap.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
No the clutch is the same as long as the flywheel is drilled for both 10.5 and 11" clutch.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I've been running a zero balance flywheel with a pork chop plate for years and have had no troubles.Way cheaper than a new flywheel.Just watch your starter drive engagement because the plate moves the flywheel back about .100 and the drive only engages the ring gear about .250 normally.I'm using an aftermarket starter and was able to get the electric motor register in the aluminium mounting block cut .100 deeper to get the drive back where it belongs for peace of mind.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1955-85-Small-Block-Chevy-Balancing-Plate,3262.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts