Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Nova - 4 door - straight 6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought plugs for an inline6 for a '72 nova but they are way too small.
What numbers on the block do i use to look up the motor?
The distro cap (which is massive) has "78 malibu 250) written on it but i don't know if thats where the distro came from or if its the whole motor.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Electrical wiring

Wood Automotive tire Door Grille Automotive exterior

Brown Motor vehicle Black Wood Automotive tire

Spark plug Household hardware Gas Engineering Auto part

·
Registered
66 Posts
well pretty looking old 6 pop look at what you took out. it shows OIL that's coming from somewhere. valve seals? bad oil rings after sitting for some time and stuck. BUT oil. find it fix it or use the same as what came out. My 50 cents

dD

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well pretty looking old 6 pop look at what you took out. it shows OIL that's coming from somewhere. valve seals? bad oil rings after sitting for some time and stuck. BUT oil. find it fix it or use the same as what came out. My 50 cents

dD
I forgot to mention: Car sat for over 10 years. I pulled the plugs and they are dirty but dry. I poured some mystery oil down each spark plug hole and then lightly threaded the plug back on, so any wetness you see is from the mystery oil.
I ordered new plugs based on the numbers of the old plugs but now i am worried about when the time comes to order new water pump/power steering, carb, alternator.

·
Registered
66 Posts
numbers brouther. find the block casting #( v8 on left rear of motor where trans/bellhousing bolts to the block) then the head (on V8 under the valve cover.) decode them, you will know Exactly what you have. BTW what yr car?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
numbers brouther. find the block casting #( v8 on left rear of motor where trans/bellhousing bolts to the block) then the head (on V8 under the valve cover.) decode them, you will know Exactly what you have. BTW what yr car?
Its a 1972 with inline6, google says its on the block behind the distro. So far the numbers i have found do not start with a letter (which sounds like it should) so i am still looking into it.

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,481 Posts
I don't remember beveled spark plugs in 1972. It could be the retailer sold you the wrong plugs. Bring in the old plugs and match them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took some better pictures, I'm still trying to figure out where the engine came from. Its a 230 or 250. It has a 1979 distro in it which matches the distro in a 1979 Malibu.
Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Brown Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas
Vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
7,262 Posts
Here are the numbers on my 68 inline 230 motor on a pad directly behind the distributor hold down clamp:

On the side of my motor by the oil sender is another code cast into the block and this is how it decodes:

Numbers and date code on my starter:

There are also other part numbers on things like the heads, intake, carb, transmission, rear axle, gas tank, voltage regulator, alternator, starter, and so on and on mine I had to do some digging to find out information but it was interesting what I did find.

Oh, an even the glass has date codes on it too.

Just keep in mind that the date codes MUST be before the vehicle was built and within an acceptable time window.

An interesting find on my car is one or two glass windows have a date code WAY before the build date and from what I have found out on a Camaro site is the glass might have had a defect and not put on the car at that time and then the blemish polished out and then put back into stock on the assembly line and then finally installed on a car to be built.

My glass info:

Jim

·
Registered
205 Posts
I can say with 99% certainty that your motor is not original. You will notice that it was originally painted blue. That didn't happen until after 1976 (in 1977), The Chevy motors prior to that (i.e. 1972) were Chevy Orange. 1972 motors also did not have HEI distributors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Motor mounts are orange and i was surprised when i removed the grime from the engine and saw that it was blue. So the H17 means August 1, 1977? Did i decode that right?
Yeah i saw that distro and was like wtf, i never seen one like that before.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Motor mounts are orange and i was surprised when i removed the grime from the engine and saw that it was blue. So the H17 means August 1, 1977? Did i decode that right?
Yeah i saw that distro and was like wtf, i never seen one like that before.
Can you take a picture of the spark plug hole in the head without a plug installed? Wiped for clarity of course... That'll help determine the correct plug type at least, beveled or washer type.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you take a picture of the spark plug hole in the head without a plug installed? Wiped for clarity of course... That'll help determine the correct plug type at least, beveled or washer type.
Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part Tints and shades

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Yellow Finger Wood

Plug looks wet because i poured some mystery fluid down there a few days ago. When i originally pulled the plug it was dry. Autolite 55.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Judging by the slightly flaking paint job, i don't think they knew what they were doing??? Of course they put in $1k Recaro racing seats and these funky gauges:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel Yellow
Vehicle Car Fixture Automotive design Motor vehicle
Light Grille Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

1 - 20 of 39 Posts