Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '70, but I'm noticing a couple of issues. I believe the problem is that I've got a door from a '73.

First I noticed the two little metal strips that connect the inner and outer door were missing, figured they just rusted/cracked and got cut off. But then I noticed the vent window assy holes in the top look like they were drilled. Then I saw that the window felt tab slots don't line up and they go all the way across, whereas they only go to the vent window on the passenger door.

I would say case closed '73 door, but oddly enough the door panels that came with the car (garbage condition) are '70 door panels and the holes seem to line up. I thought a big difference with the '73 doors is that the window crank is in a different spot?

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do have a '73 or '74 door. Looks like the previous owner drilled three screw holes in the top for the vent window and managed to use the window and innards from a '70-'72. The part that was throwing me off so bad is the previous owner swore he was using a '70-'72 door panel which I've always understood wasn't doable because of the window crank being in a different spot.

So for future reference if your door is from a '73-'74 the window fuzzy tab slots in the door will go all the way across, since there is no vent window on these years. Those slots WILL NOT line up with the tabs on a '70-'72 window fuzzy. Also where the '70-'72 have a metal piece connecting the inner and outer shell of the door (the vent window sits on these) the '73-'74s do not have these.

I specified '70-'72 above because I'm not familiar with the '68 & '69s.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
'73 - '74 doors

How does the 1970 door panel fit on the '73/'74 door?

A picture would be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The window crank is in the same location for a '73 vs a '70 door, only the vent window is different - and as you found, the door window frame can be easily drilled for the 3 screws (I've done it to NOS doors as well). Otherwise, trim the window fuzzy, bend the S outta the hinges (weld on's) to get it aligned, enjoy!

Final note, you can easily tell the diff between a '73 vs '74 door because the '74's have 'crash bars' in side of them - and they weigh a TON!!!

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,756 Posts
The part that was throwing me off so bad is the previous owner swore he was using a '70-'72 door panel which I've always understood wasn't doable because of the window crank being in a different spot.

For my 2cents worth ---- I'd say it's a 73-74 door ! ! !

also, inside door lock IS more forward than on my 69 2door.

yo, they will Tell You Anything .... besides I have some 'Ocean-Front Property in Arizona" ....................... if u'r interested' ..... just checking .

lol ... jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
70 door panels on 74 door

If I did this right here is a picture of a 70 door panel on a 74 door.
I wanted the 74 door with no vent window but wanted to keep the 70 look inside. I'm not a big fan of the moulded panel plus the ones with the doors were shot.

I sent my upper steel panel to Legendary for rebuild. At that time they only did the standard panel.

I asked them to run the sweep the entire length between the window frames.
I thought fastener holes were in the same locations but discovered they weren't when the panels returned. I put the plastic pieces the pins clip into in the doors. I cut the pin on a pop rivet to about 1/4" and pushed it into the plastic pieces. I then bumped the panel at each location to mark the locations. I then used a router bit in a Dremel tool to make new slots for the pins.

I told them to not punch the window crank hole as we installed power windows.
I think I had to mark and drill two of the holes for the screws for the arm rest.
The holes for the four screws along the bottom of the panel are off too. I used Allstar threaded panel inserts in the door shell and matched the panel as I did the clips.
Hope this helps. As stated above, the 74 door are a lot heavier than the 70s.
So far we like them.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A lot of good input. Thanks, guys.

In the end I'm glad I'm going to end up with the correct year door. I want some TMI door panels at some point and I don't want to have to do a lot of modifying.

One other thought, something I didn't even think about until right now. I wonder if the side mirrors are farther forward on the ventless doors? If so, the view may be obscured when adding a vent. It's something you may want to check if you plan to add a vent to a '73-74 door.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does the 1970 door panel fit on the '73/'74 door?

A picture would be much appreciated
The panels weren't on the doors when I got the car. I did get the door panels he said came off the car, they were in garbage condition. I kinda held them up to the door (didn't want to go through the trouble of attaching) and was confused when everything seemed to line up - at a glance.

WesB got us a good picture though.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
1 Picture...1000 words

Thank you for the picture, and the explanation of the work involved in fitment.

The 1970 panel looks to be a very good fit.
The fasteners also look good.
I will copy your picture.

I also have found that the original fiberglass panels on 1973 and 1974 doors
have developed numerous cracks over the years, and a pair of replacement panels are about $500.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Side mirror location

Yep, the mirrors on my doors are much more forward.

I guess GM took advantage of not having to move the mirror aft of the vent window to keep the vent operable.

I still have the doors from my 70. The driver's side mirror location is ~13" from the front of the door. The 74 door mirror is about 7" from the front.

I also thought the old style panels would be a direct fit to the later doors. I even put the old panels on the new doors. Since they dropped right on and everything seemed to line up I though I was good to go. I knew the window crank location was moved but I didn't plan to use them. No problem.

Just took a little time and "figuring out" to make them work.

Wes

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
I do have a '73 or '74 door. Looks like the previous owner drilled three screw holes in the top for the vent window and managed to use the window and innards from a '70-'72. The part that was throwing me off so bad is the previous owner swore he was using a '70-'72 door panel which I've always understood wasn't doable because of the window crank being in a different spot.
From your pictures, it appears as though the previous owner modified the window regulator mounting holes in the door to re-position it back to the pre-73 location and allow the use of the earlier door panels. I've attached a photo of the window regulator on an un-modified 73 door for comparison.

Final note, you can easily tell the diff between a '73 vs '74 door because the '74's have 'crash bars' in side of them - and they weigh a TON!!!
Do you have any photos? I'd love to add side-impact door bars to my '70. I'm all about safety.
Actually, the side impact protection bars were introduced in 73. So both 73 & 74 doors are the same. They're listed on page 5 of the 73 sales brochure under "Durability Features".

Attached are a couple pics of the side impact protection bars in the door on my 73 parts car. Sorry, not the best pics ... it's hard to get a good shot through the openings in the inner door structure.

From what I can see, it appears as though the protection bars were installed onto the inner door structure before the outer skins were put into place. So I don't think adding them to your 70 doors will be an easy task.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts