Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've researched this topic and can't find the information so I'm looking for some guidance.

I have a Delco Remy DN alternator and want to upgrade to a CS130 alternator.

My question is can I take the "F" wire from the DN alternator and hook it up to the "L" terminal on the CS alternator? If the answer is yes then I can take the "R"wire from the DN alternator and hook it up to the "S" wire on the CS alternator?

Is this a feasible way to wire the new CS alternator?

I would like to use the external voltage regulator and horn relay/junction block and leave everything else the same.

·
Registered
10,013 Posts

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
Use the techref to show you how to wire it. You won't be using the external regulator anymore.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then the "S" wire on the CS alternator goes back to the BAT output which is not good in my opinion because it will always be sensing perfect voltage because its at the alternator and not a external source.

Then the "L" wire goes to the "F" spot as planned.

And lastly connect the blue and brown at the voltage regulator and cap off the other 2 wires.

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
Hooking the sense wire to the alternator output isn't the absolute best way to wire it, but if you go through the junkyard and look at CS-130 factory alternator installations you'll find that very few of them use the external sense wire. Instead they use a large diameter wire from the alternator to the junction box.

For example, if your alternator is producing 100 amps and you used 2 feet of 8 gauge wire to hook it to your power distributing point, you would be dropping 0.126 volts across the power wire. At a more reasonable load of 50 amps you would be dropping 0.063 volts.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hooking the sense wire to the alternator output isn't the absolute best way to wire it, but if you go through the junkyard and look at CS-130 factory alternator installations you'll find that very few of them use the external sense wire. Instead they use a large diameter wire from the alternator to the junction box.
I'm not sure I understand this because you say very few of them use an external sense wire, but they use a large diameter wire from the alternator to the junction box.

Wouldn't this mean they use a external sense wire or do you mean a separate wire meaning not the "S" wire from the CS harness to the junction box? Are you saying they use a independent wire ran from the battery output to the junction box?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I agree with you.

I don't see a problem hooking this alternator up how I originally thought in my first post other than the smaller than recommended sense wire. Do you see any problems?

I may just loop the "S" wire back to the battery output but I really would like to run it to an external source to get an accurate reading on the system.

How would you install it?

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
I use the remote sense wire connected to my main junction point. The reason I am familiar with the other iterations of the plug is that I comb my local junkyard looking for the ones with the sense wire. The size of the wire is not important as there is little current flow, it just presents the controlled voltage to be compared to the reference voltage, whereon the regulator makes a decision whether to increase or decrease the alternator output.

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
I don't recall exactly which years use the remote sense, but you can buy the pigtail online. The CS alternators I use are from mid-90's GM midsize cars.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the information. I'm going to have some fun at the junkyard on Saturday. Its 40% off at my local yard.

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
When you really think about it, either method will work well, and you will never know the difference. I don't know of anyone who has done any serious testing. Most just look at their voltmeter and if it's up where they like it, everything is good, and they are blissfully unaware of the 0.15v drop across the power feed wire.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, you are right. I just want to do it right or the best way possible and be done with it and your right both ways would work just fine. Plus it's not like I have 2 high output fans, AC, and a 3000 watt bumping stereo.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,931 Posts
I've researched this topic and can't find the information so I'm looking for some guidance.

I have a Delco Remy DN alternator and want to upgrade to a CS130 alternator.

My question is can I take the "F" wire from the DN alternator and hook it up to the "L" terminal on the CS alternator? If the answer is yes then I can take the "R"wire from the DN alternator and hook it up to the "S" wire on the CS alternator?

Is this a feasible way to wire the new CS alternator?

I would like to use the external voltage regulator and horn relay/junction block and leave everything else the same.

Rob

Good question ... and I'm wanting to do this same up-grade to my 69. So I'm following along ... let us know ... I'm still using the smaller stock alt .

thanks .... jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts