Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the DMV.:D..Everything went smooth...took about 30 minutes but overall a good experiance.:yes:.Cost was $45. :no: I can display the Black and yellow's and have a temp. till the end of Sep...If concidering YOM plates...Make sure you have a sticker from the year of YOUR CAR.And the B/Y plates are clear ....:D

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what sticker???
THey give a sticker on a yearly basis...goes in the upper right hand corner of the rear plate....I bought my sticker for $10 on ebay..If you look at your avatar..You have a month sticker on the upper left hand corner...That displays the month of registration...the right side show the year...simple..But you must have the sticker for the year of your car...If 63..then a 63 sticker..ect...Mine is a 66 therefore I put a 1966 sticker on it.....Whatever you do...make sure the sticker is on the plate..Or they won't except it....

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
do they check the serial number on the sticker? there is a guy at the Pleasanton swap meets that sells the stickers, both the month and the YOM stickers.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The just wrote the serial number down on the application at the DMV..THe guy I got my sticker from said he's sold over 800..Never a problem..Say's if there is...He'll refund my $...There's a swap meet in Turlock Ca the end of Aug..You might be able to find one there too...

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I need to add one more thing....After you put the sticker on..rough it up so I looks as old as the plate.:yes:....It's going to get covered up anyway....It just makes it look like it's been there awhile.....I had no issues...My wife loved it.:devil:..she took a rubber mallet and started working on it right away...Shes a great woman...:D

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
correct...But they want a sticker on the plate...The same year as the car.......THe 63 is the base plate..It's stamped in the right hand corner of the plate....THis is a 63 sticker..but its for a truck....
http://cgi.ebay.com/1963-truck-cali...ash=item53d3022056&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262
Perhaps I should have elaborated a little further.

For a 1963 vehicle no sticker shall be necessary as the plate was/is stamped 63.A 1964 sticker on the plate may satisfy their need to determine the year of the letter/number configuration.

If so the 1964 sticker should be on the upper left box as they didn’t use month stickers back then….

For any other year vehicle such as 1964-1969 they want to verify that year sticker is still on the plate. This would necessitate the need to carefully remove all the following years of stickers.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I have an original 1963 plate on my 67 but have been putting current year stickers on since I bought the car, since that what it had. So if I get a 1967 sticker, I can just leave it on? Then how do they know my registration is current?? Does the DMV charge extra to do this?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I have an original 1963 plate on my 67 but have been putting current year stickers on since I bought the car, since that what it had. So if I get a 1967 sticker, I can just leave it on? Then how do they know my registration is current?? Does the DMV charge extra to do this?

What some of the guys are talking is adding a black plate to a 1963 to 1969 car. As of July first the Y.O.M. law added these years. Proir to this change only 62 and older could change to an old plate to match the year of the car.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
bob, keep doing what you're doing. or you can put a little tab below the plate (ask '69novajoe about that) if you want to scrape all your stickers off and just have the 67 sticker there and the month. As stated above month stickers weren't issued until about 1976, so to be correct (and have all your detents filled with stickers) you need a 67 sticker on the left and 68 sticker on the right. I think, or the other way around. Either way, if I were you I'd just keep doing what you are doing with registration. That's how I do it on my other black plate cars.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
is there a problem with showing up with 2 shiny new plates and a new sticker? I have one plate off my 64 but they require 2 plates. Has anybody tried using duplicates or refurbished stock plates?

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've heard of people refurbishing black plates..The nicer they look..the more your going to pay...After I went to the DMV..I went to work on the plates that are going on my car...media blast..prime and paint...I'm taking my time so they look great when my car comes back from paint..Here's a pic of the rear plate that I'm working on now..It's not finished but by tomorrow it should be.....

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Dammit!!!...lol how am I gonna get my plates back on when I only have one? I have the old pink slip that shows the plate number and an old registration too. anybody out there tried with duplicates?

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If purchasing a car with current black plates, but on a non-op, can you keep the plates on the car?
I don't see why not..The plates are still registered to the car....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts