Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
355 sbc and I can not get the dizzy to tighten. I am thinking it might be due to the decking of the block. No milling was done on the Edelbrock RPM heads and they were gotten new along with the matching intake. Should I maybe be using the thicker 120 intake gasket. The dizzy is a stock HEI built with MSD inners. Have no issues setting or lining up heads or intake.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So you were able to get the distributor to drop all the way down so it seats against the intake manifold and the distributor clamp and bolt doesn't secure the distributor?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
the bolt isn't bottoming out is it?
You have the clamp with the teeth facing down ? it is contacting the distributor?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reply to both questions is yes dizzy is sitting in hole proper but might not be bottoming against the intake. I am using a stud with a nut not a bolt for the hold down. I am thinking I need a thicker intake gasket or shims under the dizzy to get it tight. I do not want to try and push it down jamming the dizzy and cam gears together.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I think that he might need a smaller oil pump shaft that connects to the oil pump?

Is your oil pump front sump? Can you post a picture? This will help..

David :cool:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Have your tried bumping the engine over to see if the distributor will fall down against the intake manifold, I have had to do that once in awhile?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a rear sump and I know what your talking about when your asking if it is seated properly. I was not aware that sbc had anything other then a standard length oil shaft. I know I am using the same shaft that I had since I installed the HEI. Then again I sure I have had the same problem all along. It does not move all over and my timing does not change when running. But it will move if I reach in and turn it . That is something It should not allow me to do w/o loosing the nut.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Reply to both questions is yes dizzy is sitting in hole proper but might not be bottoming against the intake. I am using a stud with a nut not a bolt for the hold down. I am thinking I need a thicker intake gasket or shims under the dizzy to get it tight. I do not want to try and push it down jamming the dizzy and cam gears together.
are you using a cheap chrome Chinese hold down?If so this is your problem.....get a made in the usa morosso one

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
are you using a cheap chrome Chinese hold down?If so this is your problem.....get a made in the usa morosso one
I agree with Batman. Had the same happen to me years ago. Cheap chinese crap. I've had the best luck with a factory one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This may sound really simple, but is the distributor hold down piece upside down? Maybe flip it over and see if that's it...

BD

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys I am sorry but pretty sure I know how to install a hold down. I think because of the amount of decking to the block that the dizzy is bottom out on the cam gear. I asked if to correct this should I. use a thicker intake gasket which would allow the intake to sit higher and allow the dizzy to sit down in the hole more. -- Add shims between the dizzy and the intake to raise the dizzy so it is no longer bottoming out on the cam gear.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
How much was your block decked? My block has been decked and I have never had a problem with the distributor. Are you losing oil out of the intake by the distributor?

·
Registered
322 Posts
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212601

This tells you how much end play is needed in the dizzy itself and the amount shim needed under the dizzy to the intake. (i set my end play at .025) They say if there is to much end play, your timing will change upon acceleration. ( upward movement of dizzy shaft) Dizzy gear is helical cut, upon acceleration it is forced upward.

Better make sure it IS NOT bottomed out against the oil pump shaft!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Before I pulled the intake and added a thicker gasket or used two gaskets under the distributor I would try another distributor if you have one (or borrowed from a friend) and see if it will seat properly and tighten properly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts