Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the nova back from media blasting. The new floor and trunk pans are in. too. Next I want to undercoat it. I plan to do this in my garage but I don't have a lift so I'm wondering what my options are. Should I just jack it up as high as I can, say about 2' and start spraying (or brushing)? Anyone out there do something similar? Any hints are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
from my recent experience, jacking it up and spraying/brushing sucks, you get more on anything but the car with a brush, and by spraying you waste alot of material because how you get comfortable you end up being to close or too far away from the car.

if you can, see if the nearest poil change shop will let you park over their pit and let you go under the car for a couple hours to spray or brush. only if the car is on all 4 wheels obviously,

another idea, if you have the frame off, and the rear end out, put jacks inside the leaf spring perch, and jack the front end of the car up, i figured this out when i stood in my trunk and the car teetered and gave me a heart attack, you can raise the front end of the car, and sit on a small shop chair if you have one, and you can get pretty much the entire front end of the underside covered.

to do to rear, you just get blocks of wood to rest the firewall on and jack the rear up, if there isnt a gas tank in, there is tons of room with minimal lift.

but if none of these work, get the cheapest undercoating. you can to jack the whole car up a couple feet and brush/spray it.

hope this endeavor goes well for you

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I agree POR 15!

On my dear departed wagon : I got everything out of the way that I could, I cleaned, sanded and wire brushed down to near bare metal. I then masked off areas I didn't want to drip on.
Then I put on a home version of a Haz-Mat suit and goggles and covered near all the bottom of the car with POR15. What a fun mess!

After two days drying I sprayed Eastwoods rubber based undercoating over that. Then finally a underbody spray paint over that. Then pulled away the masking.

Looked real good when done.

James

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
After media blasting i rolled mine on the side, using two 285 tires at the A and B pillar. Two thick coats of epoxid primer and finish with truck bed liner.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
http://www.qwikliner.com/ . Thats a 2 Part liner i primarily use for it's intended use, truck beds. But it gave great results in undercoating, sound dampening floors and trunks too. For only a single time you can use Herculiner or something similar. Or look for a local shop who does spray in bedliner and ask for a quote. In my eyes nothing better to get.

·
Registered
25 Posts
about 8 years ago I used a product called second skin and it is holding up great. I do not drive the car in poor weather though so I can't say completely how well it would hold up on a daily driver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts