Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to start fixing up the engine, getting it running properly. on the first round i'll be replacing the points with an HEI distributor and the rusty gummed up carb, along with cleaning up wires and vacuum lines along the way.

while i got it running enough to get up on the trailer i noticed something odd.

this hose gets insanely hot after just a few seconds of running.

my first thought was a new thermostat...

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Normal that hose is bypassing the probable leaking heater core. That hose should be connected to the two hard lines on the firewall. After you replace or repair the leaking heater core. RICK

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normal that hose is bypassing the probable leaking heater core. That hose should be connected to the two hard lines on the firewall. After you replace or repair the leaking heater core. RICK
oohf… is it a simple swap? the core looks a lot easier to get to than on my truck.

i havent had a straight six since one of my 63 fairlanes… and i was 18. its been v8's ever since, so im a little rusty(just like my nova).

ive got two different manuals coming in the mail though, so that'll for sure help.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Put two new hoses and hook them up to your heater core and see if it leaks. If it does you will have to unbolt the box from under the dash and change it.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Depends...do you *want* the heater to work? Austin, TX is pretty toasty this time of year, so...up to you. The hose is (as others have said) usually a quick fix for a leaky heater core, but...nothing wrong with running it like that if you don't mind an inoperative heater. If the car isn't overheating (indicating some other larger cooling system problem) I'd mark it as low priority and move on.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends...do you *want* the heater to work? Austin, TX is pretty toasty this time of year, so...up to you. The hose is (as others have said) usually a quick fix for a leaky heater core, but...nothing wrong with running it like that if you don't mind an inoperative heater. If the car isn't overheating (indicating some other larger cooling system problem) I'd mark it as low priority and move on.

any reason why that hose would get so hot so quickly? that heat cant be normal.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the hose is below the thermostat, as the engine reaches operating temp the water in that area IS going to be hot.

std operating temp is around 185° so the temp in that hose will be in/around that degree....

don't worry about it...

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
If it's just started running, the thermostat isn't open yet, so everything the water pump is pushing is going through that hose instead of through the radiator. So...180* is about what you'd expect through there. Hotter than that...could be a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts