Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone converted their stock trunk torsion bars and hinges to a more modern lift strut?

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I don't think I will. My rods are now 56 years old and are still working OK. I don't think gas filled cylinders would last that long.

·
Registered
928 Posts
plus they are hidden,why would you want to put an ugly strut rod on that quits working after a few years? IMHO

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
^^^What they said :) I had 2 new ones made locally, cost me a $100 :cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the above responses, but I’d like to hear from someone, if such a person exists, who has done it on their car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm not sure about any diy approaches but Ring Brothers and Eddie Motorsports both make new billet hinges with gas shocks. Very nice pieces.

I would be interested in seeing a home grown version though.

·
6,523 Posts
I've seen and heard through the years persons doing what you are asking and all I can throw out is maybe do a search ?. A search including something like pro-street might bring up something due to the amount of inner wheel housings and other things that could get in the way of retaining the original torsion rod setup ?.

Kinda off center is on my 73 Nova custom is I modified the trunk opening to be a motorized setup. I used an old window regulator and and aftermarket power window drive motor.

If you cannot find anything, depending on how much you might want to see or not might come into play and then like anything else you might have to do the engineering a to how much pressure any gas shocks/struts can exert as well as how rigid the mounts and/or where the attachment/pivot points need to be.

Jim

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm not sure about any diy approaches but Ring Brothers and Eddie Motorsports both make new billet hinges with gas shocks. Very nice pieces.

I would be interested in seeing a home grown version though.
I put Eddie Motorsport on and when i find a 66 to build I'll do the same. They are very nice.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yep...I looked at the Eddie trunk hinge as a potential solution on the day that I could not figure out how to get the original back together :) Finally figured it out, but may someday consider something like this on our 76.

https://www.eddiemotorsports.com/category-s/194.htm

Note I recall a Youtube of an install on a Chevelle. Search for Eddie and Chevelle on youtube and it may give you some ideas.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked out the Eddie pieces, those look nice. Didn’t see anything from Ring Brothers for 66-67 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts