Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting in an MSD 6AL, distributor and blaster coil.
With the distributor there is a kit included. 3 sets of
springs and 4 bushings with 18-28 crankshaft degrees of advance ranges.
The distributor comes from factory with the heavy springs which do not hit
full advance until 5800-6000 rpmp. The lighter springs bring on the
maximum advance by 2500.

The timing I had on HEI the distributor is 12 initial and all in at
3000 rpm

How do I determine what springs and bushings I use on the new set up? Does knowing cam, stall, etc help?

The build is:
Engine:
.040 over 400 small block
Block is decked and drilled for steam holes
Scat 9000 crank
Scat forged 4130 5.700" Rods, ARP 8740 Bolts
Mahle pistons 10:44 compression
Competition valve train
Crane gold full roller rockers
Competition Cam 284xe.
AFR 210 Heads.
Hogged out RPM Air Gap Manifold
Custom 950 Pro Series Carb
Dyno'd at 488 HP 504 TQ @ motor

700R4
2800 stall
3:73 gears

Thank you

·
Registered
682 Posts
The installation manual for the MSD distributor has instructions and charts on which springs and bushings to use for different advance curves.

When all else fails, read the manual. Start on page 2.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/100/121/121-8360.pdf
:yes:

I'm also using one of the Pro-billets. I've opted for the two light blue springs which brings max mechanical advance all in by about 2800-2850rpm. And I'm using the 21 degree advance bushing (plus initial timing at 15-16°) to give me a total of 36-37° max mechanical advance. This works excellent for my setup, although my 350 is much more mild than the OP's engine.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I forget off hand, I think I have the blue springs and did the bushing change as well. Mine is 18 initial and goes to 36 just before 3000. It idles at 850-900. I wouldn't be afraid to raise the initial on yours as well. I assume right now you have a broader curve to go from 12 to probably mid 30's.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I am running one light and one medium spring along with the 18* bushing and 20* initial timing in mine.

Your's would be about the same. You could do 18* initial for total of 36 and see how it likes it. Otherwise I would say both light or one light and one medium spring, let her rip.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everyone. Looking forward to seeing what difference the MSD system makes. I am also upgrading fuel line from 5/16" to 3/8" :D

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. Looking forward to seeing what difference the MSD system makes. I am also upgrading fuel line from 5/16" to 3/8" :D
I had to do the same upgrade on my last 71 Nova as it was a factory 307 car which came with a 5/16" fuel line. I bought a new tank and sumped it then ran a 1/2" aluminum line with a -8 AN on each end.

Give your car as much initial as you can. The black bushing is the 18* mechanical so give it another 18* initial timing for a total of 36*. If you ever take it to the track then give it 2* more and see if it picks up. You will love the responsiveness of it. I ran my last 406 with a total of 39* I believe. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Give your car as much initial as you can. The black bushing is the 18* mechanical so give it another 18* initial timing for a total of 36*. If you ever take it to the track then give it 2* more and see if it picks up. You will love the responsiveness of it. I ran my last 406 with a total of 39* I believe. Good luck.
Thanks,
Now you have me excited, whoo hoo!:yes:
The car as is as is a tire burning hard launching beasty that I love to knock sideways with the tires boiling. A wee wake up to the motor will be some more fun..:D

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
The car as is as is a tire burning hard launching beasty that I love to knock sideways with the tires boiling. A wee wake up to the motor will be some more fun..:D
You sound like me, I love putting a car sideways. Not touching the brakes, full throttle turning the car sideways, slamming second with the Quicksilver ratchet shifter and the car turns the opposite way facing the other ditch. Love it. Used to do that with the old 71 and now with the 72(it's a tire shredder too).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts