Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hoping santa will bring me a new distributor for xmas, my mechanic told not to buy any after market one and that he will build a custom one with pretronixs guts. what do you guys think custom one or a ready to drop in from MDS? what are you running and happy with in a 350 sb(cam,headers,carb,ect. points vs. Hei?
thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I run a Pertronix small(point cap) cap billet with its Flame Thrower II module and matching coil,works fine looks stock.:)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
hoping santa will bring me a new distributor for xmas, my mechanic told not to buy any after market one and that he will build a custom one with pretronixs guts. what do you guys think custom one or a ready to drop in from MDS? what are you running and happy with in a 350 sb(cam,headers,carb,ect. points vs. Hei? thanks!!!
WOOPS... Dave's small body custom to my build HEI or yours....Jack

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I've read about Pertronix issues and that they don't last. I don't know this personally because I run all MSD but I have read a lot about the issues with Pertronix.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Bones331,

As Padora said, Petronix is a box of issues waiting for someone to open it..

In your 71, definitely get rid of the points style of ignition. Unless you are running this car as a 100 point car, I would opt for this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Crane+Cams/271/750-1710/10002/-1

I would offer the Petronix stuff but, it's more expensive than that I've posted. If you aren't worried about the 100 point car thing, then, I would massage the firewall a little bit and drop in a HEI distributor. Mallory, MSD and Accell do make some nice distributors but, upgrade to a better coil and you will be happy with the results.

Once you make your decision, you have to update your wiring harness:

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/hei.htm
http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/HEI.html

Let us know...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I run an MSD E-curve. It's a small cap so space isn't an issue. It's got many curves available electronically controlled. Vacuum advance capability if your running on the street to help mileage. I really like my setup I run it with just a coil and no box to clutter up my engine compartment. Idle is good and it will regularly pull up to 6200 no problem on my solid lifter small block. It's not cheap at 300 bucks but it was drop in and run. I don't remember exactly but it was only 3-4 wires total. Just read the manual to get the setup right.

·
Registered
767 Posts
If MSD is good enough for any professional drag racer.
I'd follow suit.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I also run the E-Curve.Hook up is a couple wires with no external box.You set your total timing to start with and then choose whatever curve you want by turning a couple numbered electronic pots under the cap with a small screwdriver.The initial timing and advancing is then done electronically in the distributor.No springs or weights to piddle with so if it doesn't work out changes on the fly only require cap removal and turn a couple dials.Has a built in rev limiter,vac advance if you need and with locked out timing it automatically gives you a variable start retard.I have about 8000 miles on mine without a hitch.I like it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Tried and true Mallory Unilite. :yes:
I have one of these on my shelf (mech adv) and was just going to ask about it. Anyone else have anything to say about the older Unilites? I've been thinking of using it after I replace it's bad module.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
I swapped a Unilite into my Ford 429 SCJ in the early 80's to replace the dual point nightmare.Worked great till I sold the car about 5 years later.I heard of module failures back then but mine worked fine and I'm sure the stability of those elctronics have come a long way since the then.

·
Registered
682 Posts
All MSD in here too

Pro Billit Distributor, Blaster 2 coil, 6AL Box
Same exact setup here, with issue-free operation for about 15 years now.

I prefer the small cap of this setup over a stock HEI, so that clearance won't be an issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts