Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am doing a V8 conversion and am needing advice on a distributor. 1971 third gen. Should I buy an HEI ready to run setup with the coil in the cap, or take an older points dizzy and do a Pertronix type upgrade? I see the cheap dizzys on Ebay that are complete with wires for $75 ish, where as a conversion for a points type is about the same for an Accel kit. This is just going to be an everyday kinda car, nothing super about it, but am running a Powerglide with it, for now. This will be a temporary set up till I get the motor I want, built. At that time, I will likely go with a full MSD set up. I just dont have that kiind of spare change right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just did the Pertronix Ignitor II upgrade, Pertronix Flamethrower II coil, adjustable vac adv, MSD wires, and gapped the plugs a little wider. This 300hp 350 runs awesome now!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
So I am doing a V8 conversion and am needing advice on a distributor. 1971 third gen. Should I buy an HEI ready to run setup with the coil in the cap, or take an older points dizzy and do a Pertronix type upgrade? I see the cheap dizzys on Ebay that are complete with wires for $75 ish, where as a conversion for a points type is about the same for an Accel kit. This is just going to be an everyday kinda car, nothing super about it, but am running a Powerglide with it, for now. This will be a temporary set up till I get the motor I want, built. At that time, I will likely go with a full MSD set up. I just dont have that kiind of spare change right now.

Thanks!
I went with the Ready to Run ---Remote Coil setup for firewall clearance---my full size HEI setup wouldn't allow timing change & #6 wire chaffed on the firewall. Love it.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I intent to do a Pertronix upgrade to a 1111075 Distributor but have heard there is a problem with
compatibility between GM tachs and the pertronix system. There have been a lot of HEI distributors
used. I had one of the GM big cap distributors on a 350 engine and never had a problem with it. I've
been told the big cap is to big for the GEN I & II Novas as it hits the firewall.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to dig out the two points distributors that I have and see how they look. At this point, Im not worried about originality, but functionality on a weekly driver.

If I were to convert from points to Accel/Pertronix, is it a difficult upgrade? Ive read its fairly straight forward but the wiring from the coil changes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I put 1 of those ready to run distributors (HEI knock-off) from Jegs in my 67 and it worked perfect, price was great too. I agree that an MSD pro-billet dist and a 6-AL is what I really want but my wallet dis-agrees at the moment, an update for later I guess.

·
Registered
80 Posts
protronix upgrade is not hard just a second hand helps when you have to shim the lower gear the pin at the bottom can be stubborn. Read the directions easy to do with two!

·
Registered
776 Posts
For HEI's there is a cap that realigns the wires so that that 1-3-5-7 are all on the left and 2-4-6-8 are on the right. This really cleans up the plug wires and makes things look a lot neater. Because of the big coil on the top of the cap you can't neatly lace the wires left and right......this fixes that.
This is a DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) cap, others may make them as well.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
spook . . . info ; I installed my 'Pertronix up-grade' kit back in 96 (a few months after I bought my car) .

I'm a fan = I have not touched my dist. since that install . . . . (may be I just got a really good kit) …...
but, I'd buy another kit - in a 'flash' - it HAS Worked really well for me .

(Pertronix = Igniter # 1162-A kit ; 250 Chevy six motor) …………. jim

·
Registered
49 Posts
For HEI's there is a cap that realigns the wires so that that 1-3-5-7 are all on the left and 2-4-6-8 are on the right. This really cleans up the plug wires and makes things look a lot neater. Because of the big coil on the top of the cap you can't neatly lace the wires left and right......this fixes that.
This is a DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) cap, others may make them as well.

View attachment 405688
I believe it's called correct-a-cap and they really work great at cleaning up the wire routing. Or do what my neighbor did years ago on his Camaro, he tuned it up and did a beautiful job routing the wires, looked great. But I could hear him swearing because it would not start now. So I started checking the firing order and said these are all out of order thats why it wont run, I got them all where they should be, did not look pretty but ran again. He apparently had no idea there was an actual order to them lol.

·
Registered
731 Posts
One issue I learned the hard way with the Pertronix Ignitor II is don't leave the ignition on without the engine running for any period of time or it will burn out the unit. Afterwards when I was replacing it I saw that in the installation instructions. The Ignitor 3 doesn't have that issue. I'm not sure but I think the new ones you don't have to worry about a shim. I did it twice and don't remember it as an issue.
Someone posted this a while back and I keep looking at it, especially now that I'm having vacuum advance issues with mine. Not as budget friendly as a Pertronix upgrade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts