Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dropped my motor in my 71 and the distributor is very close to firewall. Is this normal? Im running the hei with and accel ign on top until I can afford an msd set up. I guess when I switch i wont have clearance issues but it just seem tight now.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
dropped my motor in my 71 and the distributor is very close to firewall. Is this normal? Im running the hei with and accel ign on top until I can afford an msd set up. I guess when I switch i wont have clearance issues but it just seem tight now.
Remember, HEI did not come into play until '74, so the firewall clearance never mattered. As long as you can move it enough to set your timing, you're good. Probably going to be a b**** to get it in there. Lot's of people used to hammer the firewall to make the clearance, but that's gorilla engineering.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I hammered my firewall years ago to install the HEI but recently smoothed it up with the new bodywork. I would allow at least enough clearance for some possible movement when revving the motor, turning corners doing 60 mph, wheelies at the dragstrip, whatever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts