Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, anyone know what the difference is between a distributor cap made of Alkyd and brass terminals and a cap made of thermoplastic with aluminum terminals? the Alkyd cost $50 and the thermoplastic cost $25..... whats the difference? is it worth getting the Alkyd cap? what about rotors? should it be brass or stainless? its going on my 95 S10 truck.... i apprecaite any help...

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
The aluminum terminals will corrode much faster. Is this a large HEI type cap? If so, get a good rotor--I've seen plenty of the cheap ones (and even a good one) burn a pinhole through and leave you stranded.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The aluminum terminals will corrode much faster. Is this a large HEI type cap? If so, get a good rotor--I've seen plenty of the cheap ones (and even a good one) burn a pinhole through and leave you stranded.
its not a HEI , its a crab style distributor, what ever that means...see Summit part# SUM-G5222.. its the original distributor in a 95 S10 with a 4.3L Vortec engine and the entire distributor is actually made of plastic.....

where exactly would the pin hole burn through on the rotor? ans what would cause the pinhole to form? thanks so much

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
where exactly would the pin hole burn through on the rotor?
I've only seen it on large bodied HEI's--The spark that should go all the way between the center post and the end of the rotor will burn an almost invisible pinhole along that path. It will cause the spark to jump through the hole instead of to the rotor tip, and either make a nasty misfire or completely stop the engine from starting. It happened to my brother-in-law's work truck--he had his mechanic out on a jobsite all day rebuilding the carb., new plug wires, a lot of head scratching. I asked him if he checked the rotor..said he's been a mechanic for 30 years and never seen a rotor issue...I told him to swap out the one from his personal GM car...truck fired right up and he about crapped himself! He thought it was just a coincidence and he had fixed the truck...I told him to try and start his car with the bad rotor...No go!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've only seen it on large bodied HEI's--The spark that should go all the way between the center post and the end of the rotor will burn an almost invisible pinhole along that path. It will cause the spark to jump through the hole instead of to the rotor tip, and either make a nasty misfire or completely stop the engine from starting. It happened to my brother-in-law's work truck--he had his mechanic out on a jobsite all day rebuilding the carb., new plug wires, a lot of head scratching. I asked him if he checked the rotor..said he's been a mechanic for 30 years and never seen a rotor issue...I told him to swap out the one from his personal GM car...truck fired right up and he about crapped himself! He thought it was just a coincidence and he had fixed the truck...I told him to try and start his car with the bad rotor...No go!
hey, so what kind of rotor and cap would you recommend? like what quality or brand? thanks a bunch

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh wow, thats a lot cheaper than summit racing. now is that jegs cap is made of Aklyd and brass? whats the rotor made from because it doesnt say on jegs website? also, would jegs have 8.5mm spark plug wires that conduct only 40-50 Ohms per foot? the truck is a 95 S10 Vortec 4.3L V-6 engine....
thanks so much

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
now is that jegs cap is made of Aklyd and brass?
"Our Red Hot Ignition Series V8 distributor caps and rotors are precision molded with state-of-the-art high dielectric strength molding compounds to prevent spark scatter. The caps feature solid brass contacts instead of the inferior aluminum style used in stock units."
They don't give an ohm rating on the wires.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Our Red Hot Ignition Series V8 distributor caps and rotors are precision molded with state-of-the-art high dielectric strength molding compounds to prevent spark scatter. The caps feature solid brass contacts instead of the inferior aluminum style used in stock units."
They don't give an ohm rating on the wires.
notice it doesnt say anything about the rotor material :( only the cap. and im guessing the cap is Alykd and not thermoplastic because it only says "our V8 distributor caps and rotors are precision molded with state-of-the-art high dielectric strength molding compounds to prevent spark scatter.." also, i called jegs today and they said these yellow 8.5MM wires have 500 Ohms per foot resistance, thats a lot no? and the jegs brand red 8MM wires have less at 350 Ohms and cost less? isnt that backwards?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts