Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to go from drum brakes to disk brakes on my 65 Wagon...Does anyone recommend any brand in particular (CBR, CPP, ChevyII)?

Wagon currently sitting on 14" Rally Wheels on all four corners, I'm not a mechanic by any means but can tackle some jobs that need to be done. So a complete bolt on kit would be helpful for installation purposes. I plan on keeping the rallys for a while, but I do have a set up of 14" Drag Lite wheels if need to change wheel set up on low profile tires.

Any insight on set up (brand/price, etc) and installation would be great...Used would be good too for some $$$ savinigs!!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
many oprions out there.

1. you can have your 5 lug spindle machined to except 3rd gen or chevelle disk.
2. CPP kit.
3. Right stuff brakes.
and many more. what are your plans for the wagon?

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
all three options you listed are gonna push out the wheels 5/8-3/4 of an inch per side.......they are all based off chevelle disc brakes......cpp offers a zero offset disc brake kit.....these will only work with yw or xb 14" disc brake rally wheels...they will all work with 15" wheels

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
TELL US YOUR FULL JOURNEY, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO!
WHAT SIZE WHEELS YA WANT!
WHAT SIZE BRAKES YA WANT!
????????????
:cool:

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
If you want to retain your existing wheels the CPP zero offset 10.75 is probably your best choice(I would change the pads)If you have any interest in larger diameter wheel the next choice would be the LS1 12.0 inch brakes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was told by a guy at (POL) Parts Online. That the chevelle kit is basically what came on the 67 nova from the (factory). With disc brakes. He also said that the rotors for the Chevelle kit is the exact same ones that came on a 66-67 nova.And a lot of other cars.

So with all of that said, does it come down to the (Spindles) being the problem that ends up pushing the wheels out instead of the rotors.

But everyone with a 66-67 say they have the same problem. When they do the (Chevelle) disc conversion.

So has anyone with a 66-67 took there (DRUM SPINDLE) did the modifacation to it AND PUT CHEVELLE ROTORS on it and it worked.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I was told by a guy at (POL) Parts Online. That the chevelle kit is basically what came on the 67 nova from the (factory). With disc brakes. He also said that the rotors for the Chevelle kit is the exact same ones that came on a 66-67 nova.And a lot of other cars.

So with all of that said, does it come down to the (Spindles) being the problem that ends up pushing the wheels out instead of the rotors.

But everyone with a 66-67 say they have the same problem. When they do the (Chevelle) disc conversion.

So has anyone with a 66-67 took there (DRUM SPINDLE) did the modifacation to it AND PUT CHEVELLE ROTORS on it and it worked.
It works fine but pushes the wheels out....you need different bs wheels

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
one way to look at it is how long will your car be your car... no more major upgrades or work, it's time to drive it and OWN it... time, miles and maintenance...

the CPP Zero Offset kit requires special wearing parts, namely the rotors. ok so maybe you'll never own the car long enough to wear out a rotor but someday do ya think maybe one will wear out? a high dollar replacement part? what if CPP's out of business? on the other hand using an off the shelf GM style Chevelle rotor and GM caliper with a different backspacing on a NON Wearing Wheel and now those maintenance charges in the long run will be a cheaper overhaul...

just another way to look/think about it...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts

yeah, he's right... but what he failed to tell you is on those years GM was using a 4 piston caliper and a 2 section rotor... that's all very rare and extremely high dollar stuff. you want 4 piston stuff buy Wilwood or Baer etc, not the old school original GM stuff. :no:

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
one way to look at it is how long will your car be your car... no more major upgrades or work, it's time to drive it and OWN it... time, miles and maintenance...

the CPP Zero Offset kit requires special wearing parts, namely the rotors. ok so maybe you'll never own the car long enough to wear out a rotor but someday do ya think maybe one will wear out? a high dollar replacement part? what if CPP's out of business? on the other hand using an off the shelf GM style Chevelle rotor and GM caliper with a different backspacing on a NON Wearing Wheel and now those maintenance charges in the long run will be a cheaper overhaul...

just another way to look/think about it...
Great point johnny

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
well it all depends on what we eventually want our cars to be, so many options, so many ways to do things... all right, all different... whatever, ya know? ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
It works fine but pushes the wheels out....you need different bs wheels
I know it will work.

But if that is what the factory was supposed to have used, WHY is it that the wheels move out when you go from Drum to Disc. How come the wheels do not stay in the same location when you change them.

I could see it happening on a 62-65. But not a 66-67

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Looks like 14x5 3/8 difference in back spacing

XA 14X5 B-3 1/2 67 Chevy II with drum brakes
DA 14X5 B-3 7/8 67 Chevy II RALLY with disc brakes

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
TELL US YOUR FULL JOURNEY, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO!
WHAT SIZE WHEELS YA WANT!
WHAT SIZE BRAKES YA WANT!
????????????
:cool:
lets start here.
what is your budget?
I have the 65 spindles machined and using chevelle parts. Like Johnny mentioned. I go to the parts store, which my brother works at, and get all got all the parts I needed new and at a discounted price vs Special order stuff.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Do some research on CCP before spending your money.

Quality issues, fitment issues, customer service (or lack there of) issues are just some you can easilly find here as well as on the net.

Caveat emptor! ;)

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
OK so know it comes down to BS 17x7 4 1/2 bs Chevelle disc kit.
Is this going to be a problem,on a 64.
Consider this,:eek: 17x7 with 4 1/2 fit very nice with drums or zero offset(CPP,LS1) brakes.You are increasing the track with by 1/2 -5/8 each side equating to @ 4 inch BS wheel.It may work,ride height and tire selection will be critical for the tires to not rub.

NOTE,I am not a fan of CPP brakes but they do keep the wheels tucked in nicely.Pedal feel is not as nice as the OEM Chevelle brakes.I have the 10.75 brakes on my car and after dealing with a few issues they work OK:eek: Supplied pads squeak and dust real bad though.I will be converting to the LS1 style brakes when my wheels pernit it.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
OK so know it comes down to BS 17x7 4 1/2 bs Chevelle disc kit.
Is this going to be a problem,on a 64.
I would run more back spacing:yes: we have 17X7 with 4.75" of back spacing on our 62, 225x45x17 up front and 235x45x17 on the rear and everything fits real nice with LS camaro brakes:yes::yes:

·
Registered
873 Posts
I can only speak from my experience... All my stuff came from The Right Stuff and it seems to be really well made. They were easy to deal with too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts