Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back I bought a CPP disk brake conversion off a member here. He bought it off of CPP. Anyway, I am just now getting around to installing it and I have two issues I need help with.

1. The passenger side spindle does not have a hole drilled for the cotter pin. What is the best way to address this? I know the spindle is made of hardened steel but am I going to be able to drill through it? If I can drill through it what would be the best way to do this? Is there an easier way to secure the castle nut without having to drill the spindle?

2. The drivers side caliper does not fit into the caliper bracket. When I try to slide the caliper in place the bracket is about 1/8 too narrow. Can I just grind the bracket an 1/8 inch to fix this?

This makes sense in my mind but if you need pics to explain what I am talking about let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the spindle is made then heat treated/hardened... you shouldn't be able to just drill it. it will take a special drill bit... like a carbide bit. it'll cost maybe $25 bucks or so for just the bit then the hole needs to be placed in the proper location for the spindle nut to be locked in somewhat the correct position...

the drilling needs to be done, or should be done, in a vise... or a drill press (better) or on a Mill (best) it needs to be cooled while drilling and the drilling speed is crucial. too fast and you'll burn up the bit, too slow and you can possibly jamb/break the bit. overheating the bit/work piece can possibly yield the same results...

i'd recommend you taking the spindle to a reputable machine shop and let them do it. might cost you in the area of $80.-$100.00 for the one hole as shop time isn't really cheap. i doubt seriously if CPP will honor the warranty as you're not the original purchaser. maybe they will.

the caliper bracket... make sure the caliper has no flashing showing that may have been roughed up or bent into the area it needs to fit into the bracket, if it does, remove just the flashing. do not grind on either part (i don't recommend it)

i'd try to see if CPP would warranty the stuff but again, i doubt they will...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
get us some detailed images... let's see what you have...

also, measure both brackets and see if they're the same opening or different, then measure width of calipers. same or different.
let's try and see if the caliper is the issue or the bracket.

i'd also recommend after we determine exactly what the issue is that you contact CPP and send them images of the parts.
once the issue is determined...

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
A few years back I bought a CPP disk brake conversion off a member here. He bought it off of CPP. Anyway, I am just now getting around to installing it and I have two issues I need help with.

The drivers side caliper does not fit into the caliper bracket. When I try to slide the caliper in place the bracket is about 1/8 too narrow. Can I just grind the bracket an 1/8 inch to fix this? Thanks in advance.
My son and I installed the CPP disc brake system on his 68 a few years ago.
We had the same problem with the driver side caliper not fitting into the bracket.

This week, we have been installing the same system in my 68. CPP has not fixed this problem yet!

A little work with a file is what we had to do on both of our 68's.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I would call cpp and ask for jeff norton.....tell him the story....he might help you out:yes:

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Do not let CPP tell you to just use a nylock on the spindle (like they try to do with thier proprietary ball joints :eek:). You NEED to use a castle nut and cotter pin.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything is fixed!

I really did not want to bug CPP about this being that I bought it second hand. While I am fairly certain it is their spindle, but not being the original buyer I cannot say 100% for sure. I can't blame the guy I bought it from either because I don't think he installed anything to even know these issues existed.

Against Flyers advice, sorry Johnny, I did use a file on the bracket and all is well there. I needed a little less than 1/8" taken off and the caliper fits well now.

Taking Johnny's advice I called a few machine shops around here and found a guy who said he could drill my spindle for me today. I took the spindle and castle nut with me and 1/2 hour later and $10 out of my pocket everything fits great. He used a mill. I had never seen one is action. I am definitely keeping him in mind for future machining purposes.

Thanks for all the help. I'll snap a few pics today and post them up here to hopefully help others who may look this thread up.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got everything back on and the brakes bled. I have not put the wheels on yet to drive it but hopefully I can get out to the garage tonight. I want to go through a problem I had that some others seem to have had and the simple fix that worked for me.

I got the brakes on and the lines all tightened down. I went to bleed the system but could not get any fluid or air for that matter to the rear brakes. My dad and I scratched our heads trying to figure out why I could not get fluid back there. We were focusing on a faulty mc or proportioning valve. At this point the I did not replace the rear brakes of any or the components. So we decided to replace both wheel cylinders. This was the fix. The wheel cylinders where not frozen but I am guessing were just clogged. Well my wife just got home so I am going to try to get out there and get it buttoned up and go for a drive! Here are some pics.

Before

After

1 - 11 of 11 Posts