Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hung some new disks brakes on my 74(original not after market) new ball joints and the whole smear. I was not planning on using the power brake booster that came with the parts I bought. Can I use the master cyl that was being used for the drum brakes or do I need to use the master cyl off of the booster that came with the disk set up. I have been in some things where you needed different pressure for front disks and drums. I am not sure if the old master cyl will work without changing the proportioning stuff or not. To let you know I did get a complete front brake set up off of another 74 nova. Was not planning on power brakes just disks, but I could go to power if I had to. :confused: All info is greatly appreciated.
Lance

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
first off go power. Second no you cant use your old drum/drum MC. Drums need 10# of residual pressure while disks need only 2# You could how ver find a Manual disk/drum MC if you realy needed it.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re disc brake help

:) Thanks guys that the help I was looking for. I was almost sure that was going to be the case but my brother in law had me confused(ain't hard to do). This car will be raced and I wasn't sure if I wanted power or not. Can you all give me your thoughts on the pros of power,other than the obvious.
Lance

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Power brakes will have no effect on racing, although if you go with a big cam you may not get enough vacuum for the booster. Power steering is another matter!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
OK - New Guy here....(new to this forum) I just bought a "71 SS with a '68 396 in it. It does not have power brakes due to the previous owner removing the booster because it wouldn't clear the big block motor. Needless to say - the brakes are pretty bad. What all do I need to convert it back to power brakes? The motor is pretty stout - cam lift is like .625....

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Racinfan83

Hello and Welcome
I am some what new here my self. I am in MO also.(out side St. Louis). So I guess we're kinda neighbors. Sounds like your problem might be room for parts as much as parts.I am working on a 74 change to dics from drum on front. So it sounds like we may be doing some of the same head scratching. I do have several parts for brakes that I have collected. One problem is a way to find out for sure what interchanges with what. You didn't say if you have drum or disc on the car. but I guess they were power disc. I have the vacuum unit if it will fit and if you have enough vacuum from your motor.
You can call if you like.after 4pm 6363755223.
Lance

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Cool! I'm actually not far from you - St Charles County. I have not picked the car up yet, hopefully this weekend. I saw some universal power brake kits online with a 7" diaphram for like $260. Since I don't have the car here yet I can't measure to see whats up quite yet. I would be interested in finding out how much vacuum it takes to properly operate the booster. I guess you would have to check vacuum at idle???? I have no problem buying the new uni kit if it will work......

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea that ain't far I work in Ellisville. I think most engines pull somewhere between 18 to 22 in of vacuum but then a big cam can hurt.
Good Luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you're running a big cam, just use a vacuum reservoir. Summit has them for about $30.

Darrell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts