Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 1970 Nova, and am completely new to chevy muscle cars, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. My Nova was originally a I6 car, now converted to a V8. it has 4 wheel manual drums and they are awful. My question is, what other cars disks are compatible, and what other components would i need for the swap. I don't mind manual brakes, so if i can get away with not purchasing a power booster that would be great (the wife has me on a tight budget).

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I have a 73 with the drum package :bored:

Currently I am too am converting my drums to disc..:yes:

spindles, capliers, rubber lines, rotors, wheel bearings, proportioning valve, booster ( for power brakes ), and master cylinder....

I might have left a thing or two out but I bet a fellow member will catch it....

And will let US know....:D:yes:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
For what it's worth, I would say buy an aftermarket OE style kit, it cheap safe and easy.:yes:

I run the original style discs on my BB car and the work fine, all of the rebuildable parts have been rebuilt, Booster, Master, Calipers, and replacement backing plates, basically just the spindles are original to the car. Most of the rebuildable parts can be bought at any NAPA too.:yes:

This way you also know what you have without concerns.

http://www.classicindustries.com/nova/parts/md123a.html

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, not a good idea to try and track down some disks off another 60's/70's car? i am headed to a swap meet this weekend and was gonna try and hunt some down. I figure if i can get some to retrofit from another car I can part shop some of the other components.....

·
Registered
601 Posts
I picked up a kit from SSBC for my 71. Still have drums on the rear, and still manual. It may be easier to just buy a kit designed for the nova, you can get them with everything you need included.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Another option is to get just the caliper bracket from places like Scarebird, and then buy all the other parts off the shelf at a local store, calipers off a Celebrity, rotors off a Monte Carlo... etc, etc.. It'll cost you about $250 all together.

In my opinion though, if you have Manual brakes, the discs aren't a whole lot better than properly adjusted and maintained drums... It'll stop straighter, and not be as affected by water, but it'll take about the same pressure on the pedal. Your master cylinder may need to be changed also...

If you go power tho, of course it's a different story!

Good luck!:)

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I agree with swagger.

Drums that are setup right do just fine. Maybe you are building a race car...I have no idea.

Of course, I'm used to drum brakes on a Nova, never had discs...

I priced a kit on ebay, plus the MC and prop valve, No booster, and it was like $365 shipped. I'm pretty sure it had everything I needed except brake fluid. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts