·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
42 Posts
i'll just go right to idiot mode

What does machine my own spindles mean? I live less then a mile from speedway motors in lincoln, ne. This would be a great kit if I am not too stupid to figure it out.

rod

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Rod
The wheel cylinder mounting boss has to be "shaved" in order for the caliper mounting bracket to be mounted correctly and have the brake pads riding parallel to the rotor. In a post way back it was said between 0.500" to 0.600" has to be taken off. This can be done via a machine shop where they'd probably use a milling machine. Some have used hacksaws with good results as well.

I brought everything........spindles, steering arms, caliper mouting brackets, rotors and bearings, calipers and pads, and all associated hardware to a machinist and he fixed me up for about $50. He also had to drill/enlarge a hole on each steering due to the larger bolt used for mounting the bottom bolt of the caliper mounting bracket. Depending on what year components you have this may not be necessary. If the holes do have to be enlarged and you do this part on your own, be warned that you will need a lot of coolant and/or adjust your speed/feed accordingly to prevent burning out several bits.

Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts