Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I'm in the process of converting to front disc on my 66. I made the conversion kit my self. I am using the stock 66 Nova hubs. I had the outside diameter turned down VERY slightly so that the hub would fit inside of a 2001 Camaro front rotor. The wheel studs have to be replaced with longer studs because the rotor is a little thicker then the stock drum. I then cut a caliper bracket out of 1/8" steel (Easy to cut and drill)and used it to position things properly. After everything fit and I was happy with the results I used the 1/8" bracked as a template to cut a new set of brackets out of 3/8 steel plate. I will be finishing things up next weekend hopefully and I'll let you know how things go. The only "Problem" is the large discs will not fit inside of a 15" rally wheel. I am running a set of 17" re-pop rally wheels made my Stockton wheel. The look old but modern at the same time. Also the stock 2001 brake booster and master cylinder does fit in my 66 with a small block and tall aluminum valve covers. I cut the 4 mounting studs off, drilled a hole smack dab in the center of each stud, and then litterally slid the booster over the stock Nova's master cylinder mounting studs on the fire wall. Then I drilled 2 additional holes in the firewall to bolt on the remaining 2 mounting bolts. It is raining here right now, but if it is dry I'll try to post some pics of the conversion.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You had me excited until you said they wouldn't fit inside the 15" wheel. I have 15x3.5 Weld Draglites on my car so there would be no way I could use those brakes. I would like to see your setup though maybe it would give some ideas. Plus I would just like to see how it looks anyway:) .

Do it yourself jobs is what im all about. I would rather build something myself instead of just ordering parts from a kit and slap it together. I hope the weathers clears up.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Justin66,
There are quite a few of us who have done the conversion this way. The amount that has to be taken off of the wheel cylinder boss varies anywhere from 0.500" to 0.600" from what people have written on this site.

I took all of my parts to the machinist and he took off enough from each spindle to allow the pads to sit perpendicular to the rotor when assembled. Others have used hacksaws. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

The hardest part for you to find will probably be the caliper mounting brackets. If you are lucky enough to find a donor vehicle then you are laughing, otherwise you can get them aftermarket for $70 to $80 a pair. All of the other parts can be purchased at your local parts place.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
If you do some research, you could find the mounting brackets on e-bay. Those brackets are thick, and have some wicked bends. I was gonna go the piece-by-piece route, but opted to buy the whole kit to avoid possible headaches. Just got the master cylinder/prop valve combo, gonna bleed that later.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'm doing the same basic swap. I used NNN diec spindles. I bought the rest of the parts secondd had from a guy that was cleaning out the shop so I got a geed deal. Using 67 two peice rotors, stock single piston calipers and brackets. During mock up it wnt togeater just like it was made to be there. This weekend I sould get the new hardlines run on the front. Still have to get the front hoses, waiting to get the car back on the ground to measure hose leingth needed, and get a master cyl. I bet I will not have $500 in the whole swap.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
One thing Justin66,

I'm assuming you have a 66 and are okay, but if you are going this route you will need 64-67 spindles. 62's and 63's have a smaller diameter "spindle", therefore use smaller diameter bearings. The factory rotors found in Chevelles and so on which are normally used have the larger diameter bearings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts