Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I know it has been a while, but the front disc brake swap is finally finished on the 63. It took a while, lots of brake fluid, some cursing, eye rolling from the wife and a bunch of head scratching, but it is don at last. I never did trip the prop valve. I must have sucked some air into the master cylinder at some point, because I was getting solid fluid at all the bleeders, and the pedal was still horrible. I re-benchbled the MC, and the pedal was still not too great, so I looked at the cleavis rod that connects to the pedal and sure enough after adjusting it back towards the rear to hook to the pedal it was rock hard. Now with the discs on the front and new parts in the back, she stops VERY well. I almost put myself through the windshield on the test drive.:D Thanks to everybody for the help and advice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
@USMCNOVA:

Glad you found the culprit at last!

Now,

so I looked at the cleavis rod that connects to the pedal and sure enough after adjusting it back towards the rear to hook to the pedal it was rock hard
could you explain that perhaps in a little more detail? I dont know if I got that correctly, but how was the clevis adjusted?

Thanks in advance!

Regards from overseas,

Boris

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have the nomenclature corect...I may be wrong...it is the rod that comes out the back of the MC and connects to the brake pedal lever. It has a slotted end that the lever fits into and a pin slides through to fasten it to the lever. That piece is threaded and can be adjusted in and out on the rod to give the pedal more or less travel...

@USMCNOVA:

Glad you found the culprit at last!

Now,

could you explain that perhaps in a little more detail? I dont know if I got that correctly, but how was the clevis adjusted?

Thanks in advance!

Regards from overseas,

Boris

·
Registered
219 Posts
Manual or power? If manual, did you keep the stock prop valve? I did mine and am wondering what I should do for a prop valve. I've been told to just T the line coming from the MC for the front and use the included adjustable valve in line for the rear, so that the front brakes get full pressure. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure about that...My kit is the power kit fron CPP and it came with the prop valve. You could always run an adjustable prop valve...

Manual or power? If manual, did you keep the stock prop valve? I did mine and am wondering what I should do for a prop valve. I've been told to just T the line coming from the MC for the front and use the included adjustable valve in line for the rear, so that the front brakes get full pressure. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not sure about that...My kit is the power kit fron CPP and it came with the prop valve. You could always run an adjustable prop valve...
I do have an adjustable SSBC valve, but it's just an IN/OUT setup, not Front/Rear prop, so that's kinda what I was trying to describe. The guys at the parts store told me to just T the front MC output straight to the brake lines, and only put the adjustable valve after T-ing the rear brakes. I'm told that I want full brake pressure going to the fronts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts