Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be switching from drums to disc brakes over the winter for my '69 Nova. I was just wondering, who has the best prices for a 4 wheel disc brake conversion? I don't need the absolute best out there, but something that will perform much better than my drum brakes now. I have seen kits on eBay for around $800 for 4-wheel conversions. Is there anything cheaper? Also, I have heard that putting on disc brakes makes the tires come out a couple more inches than they would with drums. Is this true?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I used SSBC (Stainless Steel Brake Corp.) for my conversion. When you call or go online, specify exactly want you want to do, & that you don't want to change the offset or ride height because drop spindles will do just that. As for cost, I'm not sure if you're gonna be able to beat $800 for front & rear. If you do, please tell us where.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,120 Posts
I have heard that putting on disc brakes makes the tires come out a couple more inches than they would with drums. Is this true?
CPP has a kit that uses your original spindles which DOES NOT set you wheels out. That is what I used on my car. It was an easy instal and not real expensive. Maybe not as cheap as some of the stuff you can get off e-Bay. Instead of doing a cheap cheap 4 wheel conversion I opted to get a little more quality and just do a front wheel conversion. When it comes to brakes I am not sure you should be looking for the one with the lowest price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does the 2 wheel conversion fare against doing all 4 wheels? Is there a very noticeable difference? Also, wouldn't it look a little odd having calipers showing on the front and drums showing on the back?

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,120 Posts
I added a power brake booster when I converted my front non-power drum brakes. I am very happy with the improved braking I now have. You do most of your braking with the front wheels any ways. As for the looking funny many of the 3rd gens had the front disk brake option and they all had drum rear brakes. As long as you paint your drums black and don't us some flaming color like orange or red I don't think anyone will notice. I am not trying to talk you out of getting 4 wheel disk brakes. If that is what you have your heart set on that is what I would get. I am just saying don't go get the cheapest thing on the market just to get 4 wheel disk brakes. If you only have a set amount to spend you might consider getting a little better quality and only doing the fronts. You can always do the rears later as the cash will allow.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here's what I did. I bought the front spindles with all the hardware from CPP. That way I can buy the rotors, MC, and other goodies locally. Just a thought.

Also, I agree that you don't have to do 4 wheel discs, you would need Corvette stiffness body and suspension to take advantage of the additional braking (otherwise the body rolls forward as you are braking and the rears just lock up).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts