Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk about zero offset kits and standard gm disc swaps with offset, I want to hear what front discs you're using. And let us know what size your wheels and tires are while you're at it. Preferably on stock 1st & 2nd gen front clips.

Clearly the zero offset kits give you more room but plenty of you are running the standard disc kits and swaps and aren't complaining... they can't be that bad? Are your tires that much smaller? Let us all know:D Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I got a set of spindles and steering arms from a 65 and got the spindles machined to accept caliper mounting brackets. I had a tire scrub issue (205-60-15's) then moved the front of the fenders out a bit by using spacers and haven't had any issues since.

I have a 63 with the CPP mini-subframe kit.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
With all this talk about zero offset kits and standard gm disc swaps with offset, I want to hear what front discs you're using. And let us know what size your wheels and tires are while you're at it. Preferably on stock 1st & 2nd gen front clips.
I was excited then saw, you want stock suspensions. Darn it, Oh well. JR

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've got a stock 66, I installed a complete kit A123-3 from SSBC (includes spindles) and it didnt relocate my wheels at all from their original position with the drum setup. I run 14x6 Cragar S/S. I did have to clearance the caliper brackets a bit to keep them from rubbing the wheels.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Im having rub issues on my '63 wagon with a chevelle style brake conversion, with 15 inch gm rallyes im not certain of the width or backspace. The tire size is 205/60/15, Im pretty sure a smaller tire will clear fine. Definitely a correct custom backspace wheel would make it perfect. Its only the driver side. Im going to pull the wheel today or tommorow to measure it for everyone.

You'll probably hear that the 66/67 guys have plenty 'o room, they have bigger fender openings.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
i'm running 4th gen f-body brakes with 17"x7" wheels.actually i'm using the full f-body conversion.front/back/booster/mc.
it was a pretty easy and cheap conversion.i already had all the stuff from a parts car i bought.the only cost i had was maching the hub,turning the rotors,brake pads,and misc. adapters,brake lines,and metal for brackets.all together i have about $250 into the brake system.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Thanks!
How about the 16" and 17" rim guys? What disc setups do you have?
CPP 13" big brake kit. 17x7 TT2, w/4.5 backspace, 215/45/17 tire, does not rub. CPP mini sub frame kit, QA1 coil overs, Church arms w/ crossmember and rack and pinion kit. I can turn lock to lock, but the tires hit the sway bar...:D...not the fenders (still gotta install my stops). Ride height set at 24.5 inches from the ground to the bottom of the fender lip.

You can't use Coys, as the valve stem hits the caliper with big brakes, but not with standard GM brakes, as it's on the inside. CPP states these will only work with 17" rims (big brake kit)...NOGO is in the middle of finding out exactly what rim will work smaller than a 17......might PM him and see what he found out...he was still researching when I last talked to him two weeks ago...

The car will definitely stop "right now" with these brakes....

T,

·
Vendor
7,086 Posts
I know from the money I wasted years ago in a 15 inch wheel you can not use anything wider than a 5 inch wheel with the Chevelle type disc conversion.My ride height is about the same as Tom's and with the old disc brakes and a 15x3.5 pro star and a 145r15 front tire I would rub the wheel opening moulding of my 67 when turning while backing up.With the CPP ZO brakes and the same ride height it does not scrape/rub ever.62-65 cars seam to be much more sensitive to the increased track width because the wheels are to far forward in the wheel opening.You sould be able to use iether if you can find the correct offset wheels to bring them inboard the correct amount.One other thing to consider is If you are going to use CPP drop spindles so far the only brakes that work are the 10.75 and 13.0 CPP brakes.I have heard that Wilwoods will work but have not confirmed this.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
I have the SSBC kit which pushes the wheels out about 5/8" from the stock drum location on my 63. Wheels are 17x7 w/4.5 backspace, tires are 205/40/17. Ride height is 22 3/4" from the ground to the top of the fender opening. I have no rubbing. I'm going to be trying a 205/45/17 in the near furture but suspect I'll have an issue.

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
I currently have the zero offset set up from CPP with 17"x7"s with 215 45 17 tires.

I had superior dropped spindles before with GM rotors are calipers. They moved the wheels out 3/8" per side, and SUCKED. That was with a 4" wheel, and a 145 tire, and still could'nt steer the thing.

You dont need the ZERO offset set up if the car stays the stock ride height. If you lower it, you're going to have issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.