Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Just picked up a checkered racing front clip (using mustang II components) and was just wondering what my options were as far as brake/spindle combo. I'm currently running 15" weld draglights so I'll probably be staying away from the huge 14"+ kits at the moment. What are the popular options out there?

Thanks in advance. :yes:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a checkered front end and picked up a set of drop spindles off ebay and then ordered a wilwood kit for MII front end. I had to drill and tap the spindle in one spot on each side to get it to work though. These pictures are before I drilled and tapped the spindles to move the caliper in for more contact.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info and pics! Nice ride by the way!

How difficult was the install on this clip? So theoretically any MII spindles/brakes should work on this setup? Are the stock OEM type kits ok or is it best to go with Wilwood?

I'll look around. Thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Call Walt at classicnova.com - problem solved and you will have everything needed.

I say this because the kit I purchase has a mix match of parts - early 80's midsize Chevy single piston calipers, custom claiper brackets for the spindles, GM rotors w/ Ford races and bearings (or vise versa - forgot exactly).

I was supprise at the combo and this is what Heidt's uses on their Mustang II subframe conversion kit. All worked out though and the install was clean.

oh... make sure to get the stainless steels lines for the calipers while you are at it. The rubber, stock lines for the caliper are 2" too short and the angle the hose takes off the caliper is no good - puts the brake hose in the springs. I have NAPA all over their books trying to find something that worked but wasted time and never found anything clean.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call Walt at classicnova.com - problem solved and you will have everything needed.

I say this because the kit I purchase has a mix match of parts - early 80's midsize Chevy single piston calipers, custom claiper brackets for the spindles, GM rotors w/ Ford races and bearings (or vise versa - forgot exactly).

I was supprise at the combo and this is what Heidt's uses on their Mustang II subframe conversion kit. All worked out though and the install was clean.

oh... make sure to get the stainless steels lines for the calipers while you are at it. The rubber, stock lines for the caliper are 2" too short and the angle the hose takes off the caliper is no good - puts the brake hose in the springs. I have NAPA all over their books trying to find something that worked but wasted time and never found anything clean.
Thanks for the info! Any idea what the cost is over at classicnova? I did come across a MII disc brake 'kit' on ebay for a very reasonable price. Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUST...s?hash=item562f7413d7&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

·
Registered
105 Posts
The kit you linked to on ebay should work fine. I think its the same stuff checkered will include if you buy the whole setup. I went with Wilwood lightweight drag brakes for weight savings as well as them being 4 piston calipers. I ran 3an teflon/braided line to each caliper and back to the master cylinder, using earls speedflex.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The kit you linked to on ebay should work fine. I think its the same stuff checkered will include if you buy the whole setup. I went with Wilwood lightweight drag brakes for weight savings as well as them being 4 piston calipers. I ran 3an teflon/braided line to each caliper and back to the master cylinder, using earls speedflex.
Thanks! Did you get a chance to drive the car yet? With as light as my car is (glass fenders and hood, checkered front, minimal interior, coilovers, etc) I wouldn't think a HUGE brake would be necessary, but I would love to compare a GM brake to a big brake kit first hand. Would love to hear some comparisons from first hand experience before I decide which route I want to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts