Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, if you seen my build video i posted a few weeks ago, i'm still working on the car once i got the car running we drove it and it had zero power, then i found out the stock gearing was 2.41... and it has a 200r4 overdrive trans, And the cam i have makes power from 2000rpm and up, not so good (We ordered the wrong cam) haha.. So, i got an 8.5 10 bolt out of a 73 got some 4.11 gears. new bushing and bearings and such. Now i'm focusing on the rear brakes. i wanna go with disc, but i am not finding a lot of info on rear disc brakes. maybe it's me. but how should i go about it . i've seen a few kits on eBay for $400. Someone told me that the late model s10 blazers rear disc will fit? if that's true then i have a wrecked one for parts.If you can help that would be great thanks! (The Nova)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes, s10 rear discs will fit. However the s10s did not have a staggered caliper setup, so you may need to relocate one of your shocks. The calipers are different for 2wd and 4wd, but either would work. If you do a google search you can find where people have taken one side from a 2wd and the other side from a 4wd and effectively have a staggered caliper setup. A couple things will need to be addressed; you will need a new master cylinder for disc-disc applications (most people use the master from a 78-84ish? Corvette with the 1.125" bore) and a new proportioning valve also for disc-disc. Parking brake cables will also need to be addressed to be used with the s10 style park brake. I have one of those "$400 kits" and I'm not very pleased with it - when I get my 17" wheels and tires, I'm going to upgrade to an LS1 or s10 rear brake setup.

I know what you mean about the gears and cam - before I did the gear swap I had the 2.41s and with the th350, 60mph was like 2000rpm. With the 2004r, 60 must have been around 1300-1400 rpm :eek: ! My 3.73s made my car much more fun to drive (60 was around 3000 with the th350 and now it is ~1850-1900 with my 2004r) and I imagine that you will love those 4.11s.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, s10 rear discs will fit. However the s10s did not have a staggered caliper setup, so you may need to relocate one of your shocks. The calipers are different for 2wd and 4wd, but either would work. If you do a google search you can find where people have taken one side from a 2wd and the other side from a 4wd and effectively have a staggered caliper setup. A couple things will need to be addressed; you will need a new master cylinder for disc-disc applications (most people use the master from a 78-84ish? Corvette with the 1.125" bore) and a new proportioning valve also for disc-disc. Parking brake cables will also need to be addressed to be used with the s10 style park brake. I have one of those "$400 kits" and I'm not very pleased with it - when I get my 17" wheels and tires, I'm going to upgrade to an LS1 or s10 rear brake setup.

I know what you mean about the gears and cam - before I did the gear swap I had the 2.41s and with the th350, 60mph was like 2000rpm. With the 2004r, 60 must have been around 1300-1400 rpm :eek: ! My 3.73s made my car much more fun to drive (60 was around 3000 with the th350 and now it is ~1850-1900 with my 2004r) and I imagine that you will love those 4.11s.
Well that give's me a lot to think about!! Haha we have a 2000 blazer so maybe ill look into that. but why don't you like the $400 kit? They cheesy ? Man.. after i replace this rear-end the car will be 100% gone through ! we've replaced every bushing,bracket,bearing, from front to back !

·
Registered
377 Posts
The things I don't like about the $400 kits are that they use a parking brake that is integrated into the caliper, and that is how the caliper gets adjusted - through the parking brake, and the bleed screw points on a downward angle when installed onto the vehicle. The integral parking brakes are a pain because there is more hanging off of the caliper and it is just another leak point/something else that could go wrong with the caliper. With the bleed screw pointing on a downwards angle, when you go to bleed the brakes, you have to remove the caliper and orient it just right so that air bubbles will be forced out. It isn't impossible to do, just added steps to the bleeding procedure that can be very frustrating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts