Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys......where can i get a disc brake conversion kit for my 63? i dont want the 2" drop spindles,something that will bolt in and look right.i have read some forums on here where guys buy these kits and they say their wheels stick out too far. someone has put some disc brakes on my car before i bought it and it didnt have the fenders on......so when i put the fenders on today the tire on the driver side is rubbing the fender in the front and the passenger side is very close.it has 14 inch wheels ( which are coming off for some 15" wheels )with 205/75/14. could these spindles be wrong and making the tires stick out too far causing them to rub? the previous said the spindles came off an 80 camaro.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Right Stuff company supplies you with everything needed except the wheel bearing grease and brake fluid.....Call Pat and talk to him about it......nice guy to deal with imo :yes:

·
Vendor
4,070 Posts
A couple thaughts came to mind as I was reading. One: get the car aligned before throwing the towel in on the brakes. An incorrect alignment can give you the problems that you are experiencing.

Two: as I kept reading you mentioned that you could possibly have 80 camaro spindles, this can cause the issue even with a good alignment.

Three: You said that you were going to purchase new wheels regardless...............you could get an offset that would match the brakes that you have and keep them on the car.

Four: if it were me I'd look into this company http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/default.aspx (the Right Stuff detailing)their kits will provide you with a direct bolt on system including a new spindle and you would be back on track with original style components.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
...Three: You said that you were going to purchase new wheels regardless...............you could get an offset that would match the brakes that you have and keep them on the car.
I did exactly this for the same reason. I'm running a 15x7 Wheel Vintiques Ralley wheel with a 5 inch BS. It cost me a few bucks more for the custom offset, but kept me from spendiing ALOT more on new brakes/spindles.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
how is it you put 80 camaro 1 piece spindles on a 1st gen nova? arent the ball joints different? and isnt the camaro a front steer spindle?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
somehow the previous owner done it.....they had them machined and when i got the calipers for it i had alot of trouble because the parts house guys were so confused .i had to swap them because they were reversed.its a big mess. i thought i was getting a good deal because someone had changed the car to disc brakes. MAN WAS I WRONG:mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts