Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I have a 73 Nova that currently has all drum brakes. I know there are dozens of disk conversion threads already. But I wanted to get the latest opinions on three specific brands. I've narrowed my shopping (for a four wheel conversion with the 2-inch drop) to CPP, The Right Stuff, and Ground Up (ss396.com). Does anyone have any recent experience with these brands and their nova? Is one brand more American-made than the other.

Thanks!
Neil

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just purchased a complete bolt on kit for my 64 nova wagon and the only things i need are wheel bearing grease and brake fluid....everything else is included in the kit......I got it from the Right Suff Company

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I bought the Right Stuff brake kit for my 66 Nova. Alot of the components are foreign made but it's the same kit almost everybody else is selling, and can usually get a better price through Right Stuff or one of their Ebay sellers.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I bought my kit from CPP. It's the correct MC that goes with a '67 nova, so it looked correct, rather than the usual Corvette style.

Other than that, it was all bolt on. Hindsight... I should have ordered a kit for a 67, and avoided the stupid look of the '66 rear brake line merge on the passenger side wall.

Better planning I guess. Other than that, it's a nice kit.

DW

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
What? no wilwood. For a similar sized brake system they were only 500 bucks more than the CPP brakes. And IMO, a much better brake system. JR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks!

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like nobody has any real brand-specific horror stories or "gotchas". I suppose a really direct comparison would be hard to come by since most people only have experience with one brand.

I did briefly look at Wilwood. But, honestly I got thrown off by their website (no direct sales). Are they really that much better? I like that they seem to be American made. And I'm not trying to pinch every penny if it really makes a difference. I see that summit sells them. Are they about as good on markup price as anyone? The other thing I noticed is that their kits don't give me that all-inclusive feeling...no booster, no proportioning valve, etc. And I didn't see a front/rear combo kit. I feel like the more seperate things I have to order the more likely I am to have a harder job getting it all together? Any counterpoints? I'm still open minded about it.

I don't really need something that will hold up to rapid, multiple breaking. I just need to move up from these 4 squirrly drums.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I did briefly look at Wilwood. But, honestly I got thrown off by their website (no direct sales). Are they really that much better? I like that they seem to be American made. And I'm not trying to pinch every penny if it really makes a difference. I see that summit sells them. Are they about as good on markup price as anyone? The other thing I noticed is that their kits don't give me that all-inclusive feeling...no booster, no proportioning valve, etc. And I didn't see a front/rear combo kit. I feel like the more seperate things I have to order the more likely I am to have a harder job getting it all together? Any counterpoints? I'm still open minded about it.
Are they that much better????? No, prolly not.

Brakes are better when you go from drum to discs. Then you notice the "better". Are they quality? Yes. Are the other companies quality? NO!!.. LOL Just kidding!! They are quality also, really.

A guy running his car on the track, racing will prolly have more opinion with the various brakes. Im not gonna race so as far as I see it comparing comparable size brakes from one company to another comes down to other things. Like fitment, cost, customer support, availability of consumables (pads) and a full proof packaging that incorporates the entire system to take the guess work outta it..

I was ready to drop the hammer on the CPP brakes but the larger caliper just wouldnt clear my wheels. And the price diff was about 500 bucks, which isnt chump change. I wanted the CPP brakes, just wouldnt fit. So I went with the wilwoods.. JR

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I was thinking of going with an aftermarket kit but I read somewhere that some of the kits are a unique design meaning you cant just run to the parts store for replacement stuff. Im thinking more and more the Kore3 brackets and over the counter c5 stuff might be the best route. Im no way trying to give expert advice just its where Im at with a big brake conversion for the 17 wheels Im running. Obviously wont work for smaller rims but I thought it would be something to think about when you buy brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
making progress

Thanks for all the inputs. I think I'm in the home strech, now. It's been frustrating...I think I've had analysis paralysis for a few days now. I decided to step up a bracket and go with either Wilwood or Aerospace. For all the work, I may as well drop a few hundred more and have something that inspires me for a while. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these brands, as they compare to each other?

Thanks
Neil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts