Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are these a good idea? Would they allow the use of a cam with greater intensity (more aggressive lobe) as the ad implies?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I have never used them but it would seem that any additional oil supply to the face of the lifter would help. I don't know how they compare price wise to any other good lifter but it seems like it might work.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
I think the claim for allowing more radical profiles is somewhat misleading. The main limiter in the cam profile is the diameter of the lifter, larger being better.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mike Goble said:
I think the claim for allowing more radical profiles is somewhat misleading. The main limiter in the cam profile is the diameter of the lifter, larger being better.

that is what I was thinking...cause I think if the intensity is such the lifter will start to ride on its edge as its rides up the lobe instead of the foot like it should and destroy both the cam and lifter....so in this case larger dia lifters(such as ford or chrylser) or lifters with a larger foot (mushroom lifters) are still better...thanks Mike:)

I

·
0 Posts
THIS AIN'T NEW. Crower has been doing it for about 20 years now, and Mercedes has been doing it simnce the late 1930's, and it works.

"New, stupendous, collossal, brandy new today technology, best thing since holes in donuts, etc", yeah, right.

Yet another case of over-hype misleading advertizing and magazine donks going bonkers in an effort to smoke screen new buyers.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IgnitionMan said:
THIS AIN'T NEW. Crower has been doing it for about 20 years now, and Mercedes has been doing it simnce the late 1930's, and it works.
So does it help with wear etc?:confused: :)

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Yes, it's a good idea to shoot oil directly on the wearing surface instead of relying soley on splash, especially with higher spring pressures and the problems with reduced zinc in the oil. I tried to talk Kev into them but the cost was too much.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I havent looked yet to see but do they make direct lube hydrualic lifters too or just solid lifters?I was thinking they might not make a hydraulic version of this lifter cause the hole in the bottom might make it act a little bit like a Rhoads lifter does (have a controlled leak rate)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I looked at Crower and it appears they do not have a direct lube hydraulic lifter but they do make a hydraulic lifter with a small flat machined down the lifter that allows more oil to get to the face of the lobe then would normally be possible...would this be a good lifter to run if you want to run a hydraulic cam?

I

·
0 Posts
"WELL"...I KNOW Bruce Crower, and for years, he has taken lifter bodies that people send Crower, and has the .021 hole EDM'd in the base. YOU HAVE TO CALL THEM AND ASK FOR THIS SERVICE, NOT JUST READ A MAGAZINE AD.

That hooey of the groove in the side of the lifter is NOT the way to go, and Crower knows it, but they have to sell lifters, so they offer them. Another company even offers a tool to put a groove in the lifter bore in the block, also the wrong way to go.

The EDM hole meters just the right enough bleed oil to the lifter/cam faces, the groove is only a giant pressure relief. The hole is the way to go, the groove isn't.

Do as you wish, but two things, don't shoot the messenger, and THINK before you form an opinion, that non-thinking opinion may well be wrong.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IgnitionMan said:
"WELL"...I KNOW Bruce Crower, and for years, he has taken lifter bodies that people send Crower, and has the .021 hole EDM'd in the base. YOU HAVE TO CALL THEM AND ASK FOR THIS SERVICE, NOT JUST READ A MAGAZINE AD.
Well then maybe you should ask Bruce to send ya a catalogue because the "magazine ad" I looked at was Crowers very own Catalogue and it does indeed mention they will EDM the lifters of other manufactures if you send them to them...

IgnitionMan said:
Do as you wish, but two things, don't shoot the messenger, and THINK before you form an opinion, that non-thinking opinion may well be wrong.
I havent formed an opinion yet that is why I was asking

I

·
0 Posts
"WELL"...I KNOW Bruce Crower, and for years, he has taken lifter bodies -....that people send Crower....-, and has the .021 hole EDM'd in the base. YOU HAVE TO CALL THEM AND ASK FOR THIS SERVICE, NOT JUST READ A MAGAZINE AD."

Just what part of all that did you choose to ignore?

"very own Catalogue and it does indeed mention they will EDM the lifters of other manufactures if you send them to them".

Well, as I said above, it is the same as what you posted just above, EXACTLY what I said. What is so hard to understand about that?

Man, this being involved in the automotivce industry for a zillion years is getting really old when people on web sites, that only read ads, question every post you make, even when you were already there when it happened. I am just going to go back to repairing MSD Ready to Quit and Pro-Comp junker dists, they come from people who also believe overhyped advertizing and just love the cheap pricing. I don't have to fight them to get the point and info to the others.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I think the terms "magazine" and "catalog" are being confused here.

BTW if it is so good to have a hole in the bottom of the lifter why aren't all lifters made this way? I mean that hole is super easy to make when they are manufacturing the lifter and to me it seems like a no brainer to have a hole. Even stock applications could have one.

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Scooter said:
BTW if it is so good to have a hole in the bottom of the lifter why aren't all lifters made this way? I mean that hole is super easy to make when they are manufacturing the lifter and to me it seems like a no brainer to have a hole. Even stock applications could have one.

-Aaron
It's not required for normal spring pressures and the EDM lifters are quite a bit more expensive than normal lifters.

I

·
0 Posts
And...Mercedes owns the patent for doing that process, and isn't allowing it in production from other companies. Mercedes also owns the patent use rights to seat and lap belts, but they don't enforce it, as they feel that is just too large a safety issue.

Why is it that people act just like lemmings rushing to the edge of the cliff to leap off in a group whenever one reads some "test" or article done by a dubioous source in some magazine, as completely gospel? Never did understand that one. If your shoe on your foot is on fire, and another person says it isn't, who do you believe, the person that is wrong, or the real world pain from the flame?

I know of one glowing report and recommendation for an ignition product a few years ago, in a very popular monthly hot rod performance magazine, that was completely bogus. The person that wrote the article did NO testing, NO on car evaluation, he didn't even have his own pics, but ones supplied to him, from just one manufacturer, along with EVERY spec in his article, supplied by the same manufacturer. He wrote a "Hey, this one is absolutely fab, best thing since holes in donuts, this is THE ONE to get, the rest are not nearly as good" bull, all from the "reviewed" one's supplied info. People actually believed that rubbish.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
IgnitionMan said:
Why is it that people act just like lemmings rushing to the edge of the cliff to leap off in a group whenever one reads some "test" or article done by a dubioous source in some magazine, as completely gospel?
What is it that makes one man's opinion posted on a Nova site any more/less dubious than that of a magazine publisher's?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Edm

I just installed a big nasty solid 258/[email protected] (608 lift) with [email protected] and [email protected] I dont remember) on a comp custom grind, and was told to run the edm lifters with the aggressive ramp of the cam and higher spring rate needed. The 385 now has over 500 miles on it and its living well. So I would say YES they are worth it if you need them.

Jus my O2 there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hi,

I have only used a couple sets of the edm lifters, but the seem to have worked well.

In my opinion if you want a very aggressive cam profile, fairly high lobe lift, high valve spring pressures, or all the above, I would use a roller tappet cam.

I use some very aggressive solid type camshafts (some are steel billet) because the rules require a " stock type cam". In these applications I use Schubeck (spelling?) ceramic lifters. They are pretty costly but you can generally use any cam profile and very high spring pressure. You can also use 1 set of lifters on numerous cams, so if you test a lot they would be a big advantage.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
EDM Lifters

The reason I went with the solid cam is my budget did not allow a 1,000 bucks for a solid roller cam. nor could I justify it for the hp level and direction I was going. To this day I can not condone a roller cam simply because of cost involved and the level of hp gained over a solid for street use. I could spend the 800.00 saved by going solid flat tapet on more or better machine work, cnc porting, NO2... ETC... I just dont see the practical use of a roller unless I was building a race only motor. Therefore; I am glad to see the edm lifter so that one might use A-semitical lobe profiles with excelerated ramp speeds compaired to the solid cams of just 10 years ago.
Thats what make the world go around. diverisity.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 20 Posts