Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking for a rear end for my SB 74 Nova. I have the factory 10 bolt with open 3.08 and would like to find a rear end that bolts right in without any mods or relocation of springs and that will have a higher gear in it like a 3.42 to 3.73. Are there any donor vehicles I can pull one out of and bolt it right in? I am handy with tools but not too confident on rear end work...thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not sure on this but I think the 68 and 69 Camaro would be real close? I don’t know much about rear axles or their interchangeability. Can’t save/rebuild the original?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
Not sure on this but I think the 68 and 69 Camaro would be real close? I don’t know much about rear axles or their interchangeability. Can’t save/rebuild the original?
kimmer71, you are correct about the 1st gen Camaro rear ends fitting into a 3rd gen Nova.... but, unless you were getting a 12 bolt rear end from the Camaro, the 1st gen Camaro 10 bolt rear has an 8.2" ring gear... and it is going to be weaker than the 8.5" ring gear that would be installed in a stock 1974 Nova.

With the right selection of a good posi differential, ring and pinion, and axles... an 8.5" 10 Bolt rear end is going to be about as strong as a 12 bolt rear end with the same upgrades.

Reactions: kimmer71

·
Registered
408 Posts
kimmer71, you are correct about the 1st gen Camaro rear ends fitting into a 3rd gen Nova.... but, unless you were getting a 12 bolt rear end from the Camaro, the 1st gen Camaro 10 bolt rear has an 8.2" ring gear... and it is going to be weaker than the 8.5" ring gear that would be installed in a stock 1974 Nova.

With the right selection of a good posi differential, ring and pinion, and axles... an 8.5" 10 Bolt rear end is going to be about as strong as a 12 bolt rear end with the same upgrades.
That’s good stuff! Thank you. Also makes me happy because I chose to build my factory 10 bolt instead of going with a 12 bolt or Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts